How much longer will Peyton Manning play at this level?

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

He's entering his 13th season and is thirty-four years old. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet.

How many more years do you guys give him playing at this level?

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

He'll play at this level until his first major injury.

My guess? Three more seasons at being a total machine.

3. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Until the offensive line breaks down. He's already proven he can make every receiver around him great, so talent will never be a problem for him.

Once that offensive line is gone, he'll be gone.

4. Babe_Ruth

What's really remarkable is how Manning really covers for what is an average at best offensive line. Put just about any other QB behind that line and they'll be getting killed out there.

5. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

It's because he knows how to command an offense. As much as people hate him, if anyone had the chance to have a player like him, they'd take it. If Vince Young or Matt Schaub went down and the Colts say hey, we don't need Peyton anymore. Their jumping on his dick getting him to come.

6. Babe_Ruth

I think this belongs in this thread since were talking about Peyton and how good he's commanding the game.

NFL.com news: NFL reportedly will adjust where umpire is stationed

I am glad they're reviewing this stupid rule, Manning is known for a hurry type of offense and if this original rule is in place then it ruins the play that he's so brilliant at. I believe Peyton and the Colts have the right to complain about this rule.

*Hopefully Echoes sees this thread since I want to know his opinion on this rule, I like to hear him discuss about Football rules.*

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

At the very least they can change who spots the ball. I think the umpire should be in the middle of the defense.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I don't agree that the ump should be behind the QB at all but I do see where the rule helps the defense. In the past decade or more rules have been tweaked so they favor the offense. The newest rule about hits on a defenseless receiver take away more power from the defense. A lot of times those hard hits are to separate the WR from the ball. Less hard hits = more catches. With the shift for the umpire it gives defenses an extra few seconds to breathe and switch players. That would balance out the sometimes ridiculous rules that are in the offense's favor.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I still think it's horrible. I understand as well that they are trying to protect the umpires (look how many get run into by receivers, running backs and linebackers) but it's stupid.

I personally believe a lot of the new rules are stupid. The Hines Ward rule is one of the biggest ones I hate.

9. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

The level of his play will also be determined by the health of his receiving corps. I'd say he has a good 3 years left in him at this level and as long as he stays healthy he could still be productive for another two after that, maybe three. I honestly hope he breaks most, if not all, of Favre's records. But then again, I also hope he retires before he embarrasses himself like Favre is doing this year.