• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How Much Freedom of Speech Should People Have?

Obsesija

Registered Member
How much freedom of expression should people legally have? I personally don't have an opinion on the issue and I'd have to look into it more before forming an opinion but I would like to hear both sides of the issue present a case. Thoughts?

Diederick

Registered Member
Freedom should be as great as possible. But verbal actions which incite crime or hatred can not be legal. This wouldn't have to be the case would people be able to think for themselves and if they were not complete idiots, but many people can't think for themselves and are complete idiots.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I'm not even sure I support libel laws. Short of yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater, and conspiring to commit a serious crime; I think people should be able to say whatever they like without intervention by legal authorities. That said, I see the freedom of expression as protection from legal persecution, and not social repercussions in general; and think it's a bit silly when people say their freedom of speech is being violated when they get criticized or face other social repercussions for what they say.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think I pretty much agree with EI here. As much as possible. I don't think people should be limited to "politically correct" speech.

I like the quote Sim has in his signature here:

"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."

- Heinrich Heine (1797-1856)
It's sometimes easy to see the "need" for a new law limiting free speech, but what people overlook is the fact that it sets precedents for future laws that will further limit free speech. When free speech is gone, it's next to impossible to get it back.