How Much Do You Trust Your Doctors Advice?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I take vitamins sometimes but I don't overdo it. Some people take such large quantities I can see where that might harm them.

If I didn't trust my doctor I wouldn't be going to them.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
A little over 3 years ago I had to get surgery for appendicitis, I did everything recommended and didn’t much question it. Something about being in the ER just makes you do what you’re told. My mother is a nurse and I signed decision making rights over to her since I was going to be out.

I typically avoid going to the doctor but I do have friends in the medical field. Various doctors, PAs, and nurses. I’ll usually trust their advice because I know they have a naturalist slant in their medical beliefs just like I do. They’re slow to prescribe drugs (but will if they need to)

For the record. I know a board certified health coach/drugless practitioner who studied at Harvard and U.C. Davis. He swears to me up and down that based on the studies those schools have done that nutrition is absolutely paramount above all else and that adequate fiber consumption (60+ grams daily) is the most important thing you can do for your health. (These studies are not publicly available but I have seen them) Vitamins don’t work though, you need good food and real supplementation.

Impaired

Registered Member
I don;t believe in vitamin pills. If you want vitamins, eat fresh fruits and veggies that have them.

After a year and a half of a severe lung issue, doctors have done nothing but waste my time with endless expensive medications that don't work. There are some meds I have not tried, since adopting a $500 a month habit is not something I am prepared for at this time.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I trust them enough to give me detailed information on lab work, physicals, and recommendations if anything were wrong. It's literally what they're there for, your health. However, my GP cusses like a sailor, say's how it is and is very direct and cordial with me should anything come up that needs attention. I asked him about the Prep Pills before and he recommended not to go on them due to high chances of liver damage and so on, they were mostly prescribed for those who are sexually active without protection.

So, at least for me, my GP's got my vote for all the good stuff.

Western medicine is fraught with misinformation stemming from conflict of interest. Big pharma goes to great lengths to protect profits and these lengths include promoting medical advice that actually, if followed, will often lead to an exaserbation or prolongation of certain health issues. Diabetics, for example, are often recommended to consume a diet that is quite high in carbohydrates which makes insulin resistance worse over time, increasing the need for medications. Many in the medical community are well intentioned, but blindly follow guidelines tainted with such misinformation. As a result, I generally trust my doctor for diagnosis, but prefer to augment any recommendations with careful research.