How many titles a month do you collect?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Nightsurfer, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Greetings comic book fans

How many titles a month do you collect?

My monthly list is pretty much this right now :

Batman
    Detective Comics
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Wonder Woman
    GI Joe (OLD ones)
    GI Joe (new IDW)
    All Hail Megatron
    Transformers Old and New
    X-Men Legacy (but not for too much longer)
    X-Factor
    X-Force
    Teen Titans
    Thor
    Superman
    Superman/Batman
    Deadpool
    Spawn
    Ironman
    Spiderman
    FF4
    Hellboy
    DAWN

So how many different titles do you collect?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I used to be really serious about collecting Spiderman issues. Mostly for my own enjoyment rather than for collection value. As a huge fan of what ebay calls the Copper and Modern ages of Marvel, I was extremely upset to see the introduction of the "ultimates". I literally gave up collecting comics and took a stand against supporting that POS style.

As I've made clear already I just picked up the Marvel Civil War which I was unaware was back to the good ol' style of dark and gritty. Then the more I looked I found the Spectacular Spiderman was picking back up again in what looked like the exact way I left it.

So now I'm looking into working that into my collection habits.

I've got my eyes set on finding #539-540 of the Spectacular Spiderman.

Its gonna be difficult to get back into the mail order style of collecting I used to do, so for now I'm gonna have to take a guerrilla warfare tact on picking up some editions that interest me and get me back on track.

3. Nightsurfer

Ice I also recommend looking at Lot auctions on eBay, that is a great way to get tons of the comics you want dirt cheap. I do it all the time.

4. icegoat63

I just recently snagged up 64 "Amazing Spiderman comics from the 90-93 era. Real great set to they are all bagged and boarded in beautiful shape. I have a wishlist of some single issues I need to complete the mini-series' inside them.

But yeah picked all that up for $30 plus 15 shipping, damn good times! Its got 3 different Variants of my all time Favorite Spidey Issue..."Spiderman #1 -Torment" All (to my untrained eye) in wonderful condition if I were to get them graded and none of them are reprints from what I see

But yeah, most definitely I've been keeping my eye on the Lots of Comics like that, trying to stay mostly just Spidey though... lol I'm not made of money as much as I wish I was so I gotta stay picky otherwise I'd go broke.

5. Nightsurfer

I can understand that. I usually pick up 3 to 4 lost a month unless I have a good month in prop sales and work then I might pick up more. Also check Craigslist for comics there. I snagged the complete Dr Who series on Craigslist for 25 bucks, and it's worth about 2 grand in the right hands. I am not selling mine off. Now it's onto Battlestar comics to fill the gaps in my collection.

Oh yeah don't forget about the Dirt malls. With things going the way they are now many so called collectors are selling off their stashes cheap. Now is the time to buy not sell.

6. icegoat63

No doubt, I havent been to a Dirt mall in forever, I should probably do one of those weekends dedicated to scouring the suburbs for 'em some time!

I'd also forgot to mention I paid my $25 bucks to Marvel the other week while they were promoting the "36 issues of The Amazing Spider-Man for the price of 12!". I'm pretty excited about that one, hopefully those should start coming in within another week or three.

7. Nightsurfer

That is a good deal for a new member of the marvel club, I get mine for 12.50 but then again I have had my subscription for over 18 years now.

Hey don't forget to go to Marvel.com and read comics for free as well as getting better deals on comic subscriptions.

8. icegoat63

I came sooo sooo close to jsut spending the $50 bucks and getting access to all their e-comics but then decided against it for the time being. Like most anyone would I decided I'd rather be able to hold 'em than just have 'em online. BUT! Knowing me I'll probably break down later on and buy it just so I have the unlimited access to the Gold / Silver age era of the Spider-man comics. Also it'd make it easier I'm sure for me to get into other characters, would probably be a great opportunity to get to know Captain America more..... I need to stop thinking about it or I'll buy it now :hah:

the online ones... do you know if you can download them? Like in PDF format or something? I know that site that Hiei gave had a very sweet selection of Free PDF comics to download. Only problem was you had to wade through the ones in Spanish every once in a while. :hah: I did that with the Wolverine series... was reading it and getting in to it, swapped over to the next one and low and behold I was opening up "Los Wolverinos! - Soy el mejor en lo que hago, y lo que hago es matanza". Talk about depressing!

But yeah if I could download 'em... that might persuade me :shifty:

9. Nightsurfer

I am not too sure if you can down load the digi comics from Marvel, I just go there and read them. If I got off on the story line and artwork i will just go out an buy the comics.

There tons of Digital comic book sites but you have to be careful when down loading them, some sites are nothing but a virus launching pad. I will stick to Marvel and a few others like IDW and Darkhorse, DC has yet to step into the Digital comics world but i hear that they are working on a Digital DC comic shop.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I did this about 2 years ago, I bought about 1000 comics for £40. They are a good mix of publishers and titles, not many complete sets unfortunately but enough to keep me occupied for a while. The condition is mixed but generally good to very good and they range from mid-70s to mid-90s.

...and there are a few Dr Who ones:D

To answer your original question:
    I have MAD magazine on subscription but thats it, its cheap and easy and although I keep them all I would not say I collect them. To be honest I dont have the continued interest, I like comics but this fluxuates. I like to be able to grab one now and again but not on a regular basis.