How many movies do you see per month?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I used to see upwards of 6 movies in the theater per month. After some time, I added up how much I had spent on tickets in a year, and it was over $300 or so in ticket value!

That made me think about the many things $300 could have got me. I NEVER buy popcorn or a drink at the theater, but if I had, it could have easily been another $300, since generally concession doubles your ticket price.

Anyway, I started saving movie ticket stubs and putting them in with my other receipts I keep. Since doing that, I probably go to the movie theater less than 6 times a year, and that might even be high. :)

I will admit, I buy a lot more DVDs now, but at least that's a one time fee. Once you pay, it's yours.

Price of a movie ticket: $8.00
Price of a DVD movie: $16.00

It's not hard to figure out that for every two movies you don't see in the theater, you can buy one of them on DVD.

:D

Roland_Jenkins

Registered Member
Some movies just aren't the same unless you see them in a theater. Once a year would be about it for me. IMO most movies aren't worth seeing.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree Roland, but for the most part I will only see action movies in the theater. I rarely see comedies. There's nothing special about seeing those in a theater except you get a bigger picture. :)

yooperchick

Registered Member
I haven't seen a movie in over 2 years. There are some I would love to see, but we just wait until it comes out on DVD to rent it. The theaters around here are just aweful.

Is that the going price for a movie ticket now? Holy wah!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yeah, go to a few movies where the kids (18-25yr olds) are all on their cell phones and talking across the isle and you just give up and wait for the dvd. If you are a movie buff, you could have a home theather for a few years worth of movie tickets. The technology is at the consumer level now. Fortunately, studios make a ton of money off the dvds, otherwise the big budget movie would become extinct.
This is the way profit margins work in the business; On the first day of the movie is out, the studio gets almost all of the ticket sales. The theater relies on concessions to make any money. By the end of the cycle, the theather gets almost all of the ticket sales, hence the reason for $1.50 movies. When the dvd is released, the studio will get upwards of 75% of the take. Walmart and other big chains actually sell dvds as a loss-lead. They will eat $1 of the dvd costs just to get you in the door. And, if you try to buy more than 1 copy, they will refuse you. So, regardless of what studios say, they are not losing money on movies. They will use the ticket reciepts to post a loss so that they don't have to pay addional royalities. Its all a very slick game and the guy who owns the theather is the one getting screwed. So, what does he do? He lets everyone in even if they bring their 1 year old and talk on the phone the whole money. Which drives more people away, which is good for the studio and bad for him.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's some interesting information spence. I didn't realize that stores sold them at a loss when they first came out. That probably explains the $14.99 week of release specials that almost all stores have.

I am in Chicago, my cable company offers movies I can order...which I like much better since I don't have to worry about late charges. I don't know if every cable company offers that..but I get all the new releases and even trailors..its pretty cool.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah they have that here too. There's some channels that you can pay like $5 extra a month and watch unlimited movies. (You scroll through a list and just click select and the movie starts.) That's the same way the pay per view system is too, but of course that costs more money for each movie.