• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How many languages do you speak?

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
I work with a bunch of Columbian/Mexicans. The expression is different for certain areas, which is weird. "You're gay" and "You're a loser". I don't think it actually means "faggot" truthfully, I've read people's reactions to it when Escobar had it and that's what some people wrote it to mean, but no one told me personally that it was. If they do something that's odd, joking around, I ask them. Escobar is from the Dominican(?) so he even spells it differently than Mexicans.
Ah, okay. I just don't tend to say it, because I know how hurtful it can be to someone within earshot, who could happen to be gay. Especially when there's already been enough hate speech targeted at gay people, as it is. I live in a really conservative city, and I've seen so much of it. To each, their own, though. I just thought I'd offer my insight on that. Just because you don't mean something one way, doesn't mean that there isn't someone who is listening, who could take it the way you don't mean it. Not trying to be bossy or bitchy. Just offering insight. :)

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I know what you mean... It's not something I go around shouting... if the guy I say it to (My boss :p) is gay, then he is a master at hiding it because he is a player. ;)

...I also know a few expressions in Filipino... but man, with some of those guys, you don't know which way they swing EVEN if they are married. :lol:

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
I know what you mean... It's not something I go around shouting... if the guy I say it to (My boss :p) is gay, then he is a master at hiding it because he is a player. ;)

...I also know a few expressions in Filipino... but man, with some of those guys, you don't know which way they swing EVEN if they are married. :lol:
So, your boss could be Barney Stinson, from How I Met Your Mother? LOL.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Well, that's a difficult situation, since Barney, the character, is not gay and is getting married ;)

I always find it awesome when I watch that show, certainly in the years before Barney and Robin, seeing how amazing he is with the women, knowing in real life he is gay. It has to be a little bit strange for him to play out (certainly before he came out). I guess it just shows how great of an actor he is, because he completely pulls it off. If you watched him in any role he has done, he's always been a lady killer ;)

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
Well, that's a difficult situation, since Barney, the character, is not gay and is getting married ;)

I always find it awesome when I watch that show, certainly in the years before Barney and Robin, seeing how amazing he is with the women, knowing in real life he is gay. It has to be a little bit strange for him to play out (certainly before he came out). I guess it just shows how great of an actor he is, because he completely pulls it off. If you watched him in any role he has done, he's always been a lady killer ;)
GAH! I am an idiot. I actually meant he's Neil Patrick Harris, but pretending to be Barney. LOL. I'm fucking tired. This week has been a roller coaster!

Another actor that goes the opposite direction, but is equally amazing at his job, is the guy who plays Lafayette, on True Blood. He has no problem playing hella gay, on TV, but he is super straight, in real life.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
...well, wait until this season. Lafayette's gay scenes are going to get a little elevated. It's their last season so I think they are going out with a bang. They hired an actor to be Lafayette's love interest and in the description it had "full nude man on man love scenes"...

...oh, and no. He's not pretending to be Barney. Unless he just gives the ladies he brings home tea and biscuits lol

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
...well, wait until this season. Lafayette's gay scenes are going to get a little elevated. It's their last season so I think they are going out with a bang. They hired an actor to be Lafayette's love interest and in the description it had "full nude man on man love scenes"...

...oh, and no. He's not pretending to be Barney. Unless he just gives the ladies he brings home tea and biscuits lol
Oh man! They're exposing even more of Lafayette's flamboyancy? YES! YES! YES! YES! xD I can't wait for this last season, though it's going to be sad to see the show end. Just like Dexter.

And LOL yeah... definitely not Barney Stinson.

Dickey's Flow said:
EdgeHead said:
Technically, I should speak 4 languages: French (mother tongue), English, Spanish and German. But ever since I graduated from college, I totally lost any Spanish or German I learned, although I kept my college notes with me. However, I could still order a beer in Spanish and tell someone to go fuck himself in German. As you see, I only remember the essential stuff. ;)
I never had the passion to learn another language. I could've taken Spanish in high school but it never really appealed to me. But I kept screaming Viva lara za in Mexico because of Eddie Guerrero...no idea what it actually means but the bartenders loved every minute of it.
In English, "Viva la Raza" roughly means "Long live the hood" so it's pretty much a gangsta quote so-to-speak! :lol:

Iris

rainbow 11!
I'm really rusty, but I could sorta have a conversation in ASL. I've taken two years of it in college. Other than that, English.

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
HIJKay said:
I'm really rusty, but I could sorta have a conversation in ASL. I've taken two years of it in college. Other than that, English.
ASL is definitely something I want to become fluent in.