How many German words do you know?

Sim

Registered Member
Since I'm probably the only native German speaker here, I'm curious about how many German words you know.

I know there are a few German words in the English language, like Zeitgeist, Kulturkampf, Blitzkrieg or Kindergarten.

Which other words can you think of? :)

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
i know quite alot of german words, i studied higher german (which is like A level German in england) and i got a B, i wanted to go on to study german at universtiy but didnt get the grades?

Wie geht's? (bare or bear (cant remember what it is lol) in mind that my german isnt so good)

i could hold a basic converstation in german with someone, if they were to give or take a few mis pronouced words or wrong word order :lol:

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I know only a small handful of words.

Nein, ja, Fuhrer, freund, eins, mein, Gott...

And a few others that I've forgotten.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Anything sung by Rammstien :)

Also I know Swine and sprechen sie deutsch?

My dad knows how to ask for a beer in German but it escapes me right now.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Kaput= Dead
Danka =thank you
Juden= jew
Hanctshey= warning
Americana= american
Hax= anti
Grenadtch= grenade
Sturm= storm/assault
Gewehr= Rifle
Karabiner= carbine
MAchinen= machine/ automatic
Pistole= pistole
Polizie= police
kurz= short
reich= empire
jaeger= hunter
panzer= panther
faust =fist
chrek= terror

all i know. Mostly from german weapons, video games, and movies

Bjarki

Registered Member
I had German for three years in high school, but you know, I didn't like the teacher.. so I dropped it. But I'm still decent at it. I live near the border and our local dialect is a nice mix between dutch and german, so it's easy to get a hang of it.
I understand pretty much everything, just the talking doesn't go so well. I can try it, but I mess up the 'der, die, das' :urp: And it's somewhat harder to express myself.

I'm part of a German gaming clan though, which is cool and a nice way to get a hang of the language.. but like I said it's hard to express myself. I let the other guys speak german, while I respond in english. That usually goes well, and when it doesn't we help each other out :)

Sim

Registered Member
i know quite alot of german words, i studied higher german (which is like A level German in england) and i got a B, i wanted to go on to study german at universtiy but didnt get the grades?

Wie geht's? (bare or bear (cant remember what it is lol) in mind that my german isnt so good)

i could hold a basic converstation in german with someone, if they were to give or take a few mis pronouced words or wrong word order :lol:
Nice to hear someone here learnt German in school! :)

Es geht gut, danke!

It's a pity how fast one forgets a foreign language when no longer practizing it ...
------
Anything sung by Rammstien :)
So you like Rammstein? Are they very popular in America?

I assume their music underlines the hard edges of the German language ... :lol:

Also I know Swine and sprechen sie deutsch?

My dad knows how to ask for a beer in German but it escapes me right now.
"Ein Bier, bitte!" ;)

With that sentence, you'd be able to survive in Germany ... :D
------
Kaput= Dead
Danka =thank you
Juden= jew
Hanctshey= warning
Americana= american
Hax= anti
Grenadtch= grenade
Sturm= storm/assault
Gewehr= Rifle
Karabiner= carbine
MAchinen= machine/ automatic
Pistole= pistole
Polizie= police
kurz= short
reich= empire
jaeger= hunter
panzer= panther
faust =fist
chrek= terror

all i know. Mostly from german weapons, video games, and movies
Hey, who could deny WW2 games are very educational? :D

You got them all right, except for minor spelling mistakes (German has a rather peculiar system of spelling words) ... I just have no idea what a "Hanctshey" is.

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
I had German for three years in high school, but you know, I didn't like the teacher.. so I dropped it. But I'm still decent at it. I live near the border and our local dialect is a nice mix between dutch and german, so it's easy to get a hang of it.
I understand pretty much everything, just the talking doesn't go so well. I can try it, but I mess up the 'der, die, das' :urp: And it's somewhat harder to express myself.
You Dutch folks are rather talented when it comes to foreign languages anyway ... I guess many of you speak English even better than native speakers! ;)

Maybe that's because you don't dub your movies and TV programmes, but you have subtitles? That way it's easy to pick up some English or German, I guess.

I like Dutch, maybe I'm going to take a class at college one day. A few of my co-students do. Since I have friends in the Netherlands and I often visited them, I understand quite a lot Dutch. But I can hardly speak it.

Ik spreek maar een heel kleen betje nederlands! :D