How many Christians have actually read the whole bible themselves?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Johnxz, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Johnxz

Johnxz New Member

I'm just throwing this out there, but according to your religion, have you ever accomplished reading the holy scriptures related to your religion and do you think the majority of people dont?

2. HappyFace

HappyFace Registered Member

Well that's not exactly the problem is it?

The real problem is when people read it and come up with their own interpretations. Then when children are young they are read the bible and given these interpretations without being able to come up with their own.

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Sadly, I think the majority of Christians don't.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My mum's side of the family are mostly Christian, and I know for a fact they haven't fully read the bible. Even worse is my friend who thinks that because she was baptised as a baby, she doesn't have to read a word of it or go to church more than just on Christmas day or aaanything like that. You ask her what she believes and she'll say "Well, I'm a Christian" but she doesn't know the first thing about it.

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Not taking sides here, but I think it's fair to wonder how many atheists have even opened the Bible. There's a surprising lot of decent philosophy in there, irrespective of the religious context.

For the sake of conversation, let me add for those who aren't aware that I'm a secular Taoist and happily agnostic.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

that's a good point.

apart from that, i believe in
    God, i call myself a Muslim [but actually i'm not].
    i've read just a few parts from Q'uran and left it at that. I wasn't interested in the religious context.
    Yes, Q'uran has some good morals to show people, just like Bible. but apart from these, there's nothing else i find myself interested in, about holy scriptures.
    holy scriptures are good for some things and not good for other things.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

I can honestly say that I've read the whole New Testament several times and the mass majority of the Old Testament, with the exception of the minor prophets. Even if you aren't a Christian, as others have said, the Bible still carries a lot of good guidelines to keep in mind.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I haven't read the entire Bible, but was taught about it or the highlights in school and in church. But like already mentioned here, it's not so relevant to have read the scriptures, as much as having an appropriate interpretation of it. The problem is that, who knows which is the appropriate interpretation? Even among Christians the debates happen, including among people who have fully read the scriptures.

9. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

If there are highlights, are there lowlights? What would those be?

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

If there is no time for the entire Bible to be discussed/read, and this is what happened in school (it wasn't an expectation from us to do that anyway), then choices have to be made as to which parts of it are of more value for the Christian education. For example, the passages about the birth, life or death of Jesus were considered more important to know and discussed in class than say, the passages in the Book of Ruth. :dunno: