How long...

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
How long is it safe to keep left overs for? Is there specific times for different foods?

I never know, and don't want to get sick so always chuck them out the next day if I havn't eaten them.

yeah, it really just depends on what it is. If it looks and smells alright and not past any sell by dates (that I know of) then I usually risk it if it's been covered up well in foil or something. I personally don't think you need to be throwing it out as early as the day after, but if you're not sure then it's better to be safe than sorry.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Some foods taste better a day or two after. :)

It depends on what you cooked. Some food ingredients spoil faster. What I usually do for some is right after cooking (if I know it can serve more than our need), I put part of it in a separate container, let it cool a bit then freeze it. You can eat it several days after just reheat it and consume rapidly.

Then you can also go by smell. Although what I noticed is that when food is untouched by the saliva (because some "taste" using the serving spoon), they spoil slower. When you leave them out and room temp is warm, it spoils faster than if you packed and conserved it in the refrigerator.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
As people have said, it depends on what you've cooked, but I usuallu tend to try and eat them within 2-3 days.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I would never keep anything longer than 1 day after I'd opened it - no matter what the packaging states. I am really fussy when it comes to food and always worry I'll get sick. If it's ham or something then that's different - I am just referring to meals.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some foods taste better a day or two after. :)
I totally agree with this, there's so many food that taste better the next day or beyong. Pizza is definitely one of those things.

Personally some food can stay good up to five days, if it doesn't smell bad or look bad, I'll usually give it a try, if taste bad then I'll just throw it out.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would say 5 days is about my limit. I do have some chicken in my lunch now that is about 7 days old. I may end up chucking it instead of eating it.