How long should I train for a 5K

MissMe

Registered Member
I am almost 40 and have decided that I want to run a 5K. I have never ran a 5K before and want to scratch it off my bucket list. I am in ok shape, not the best though. How long do you think it will take me to get my body up to running the 5K? If I am running once a day now and increase to twice a day I think that I can get my body in shape for the run faster. I was hoping to be ready for the run in December. Think it's possible?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Honestly a 5k is pretty doable even if you aren’t in running shape. A lot of people will walk them just to finish them.

If you’re looking at running one though, then running two miles at a time would be a good way to train. You could eventually train by running the whole 5k. A treadmill is nice for training because you can always stop if you overdo it or are burning out. If you’re running outside, you have to walk back to where you started, haha. Unless it is a track or something.

Keri35

Registered Member
I did my first 5K two years ago. I didn't run the whole thing. I power walked part of it. I say train until you feel like you are ready. If you're in good shape it shouldn't take long.

MissMe

Registered Member
A treadmill would be great for training, but I don't want to pay money for the gym! I have been running a mile during each run and will increase to 2 miles next week.

MissMe

Registered Member
7-10 years, less if you give up bacon and whiskey.
Give up bacon and whiskey? Are you crazy!? I'll give up the idea of running a 5k before I ever even ponder giving up bacon and whiskey!