• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies How long should a Movie be?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Are you happy sitting down for three hours or would you rather a Movie that ran for half that time?

I just finished watching one of my favourites - 'Throw Momma From The Train' and it's only 1 hour and 20 minutes long. That seems way too short for a Movie.
Don't get me wrong, it was great and funny, but I would have loved to have seen more. I'm sure they could have added more comedy scenes between Owen and his mum.

I think 2 hours is about right, but I've noticed a lot of my favourites are only an hour and a half long at most.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree with the 2 hour notion, but to be honest, I don't care how long a movie is, as long as it tells its story as much as it can in its timeframe.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm okay with whatever length works best for getting everything needed out to the audience. Obviously if it gets ridiculous the director should try to break it up, but he or she better find a good stopping point; Pirates of the Caribbean 2 scuked because it just abruptly ended and I had to wait over a year for any resolution.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It totally depends on the movie. There are three hour movies that seemed to fly by, and two hour movies that seemed way too long. If a story can be told in an hour and a half, then I'm fine with that. But I also enjoy the longer movies sometimes.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Wierd, I literally just had this conversation in work. I'm with Echoes, it comepletely depends on the genre. I think an hour and a half is ideal for a comedy but films that are heavily story driven need about 2 and a half. For example a film like Inception needed that hefty running time just to cover all the exposition and allow the characters to develop. A film that is mainly built on witty one liners does well to not wear out it's welcome.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Alfred Hitchcock wisely stipulated that the length of a film should be thoughtful of the human bladder. He isn't wrong.

If it's a three hour film it MUST be engrossing - The Deer Hunter, Magnolia, Heat are some examples that manage this. Beyond that two hours is almost too perfect, and an hour and a half is fine for a thoughtless, 'don't need to use your brain' horror flick or whatever.

Konshentz

Konshentz
90 minutes - Comedies, most action movies, animated movies and the majority of horror movies. That is plenty of time to do what needs to be done.

120-150 minutes - Mainly dramas. Obviously you can throw in movies like Inception & The Dark Knight, that have a lot of action in them, but have a larger story to tell.

Impact

V.I.P.
I agree with what most people have said. Comedies, Actions and other things you don't really have to think for at 90 minutes, whereas movies that need the storyline and character developed can go with a longer time.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think a movie should be as long as it needs to be to tell the story properly. And I have no issues with 3 hours plus films if they can keep me engaged for the whole time and need to be that long. I also have no issue with really short feature films.