How Long Is Too Long?

Viggenstien

Registered Member
I have a bit of a dilemma. I have been doing a lot of soul searching since I was about 12. I am now 18, and I still don't know what I believe. I'm not sure if I should have made a decision by now. I believe in religion, I do. I believe it's a wonderful thing and I believe that when embraced it can make life that much easier.
However, I feel like with the amount of time and energy, and the lack of real decision making, I'm not getting what I should out of it. Sure, I would love to believe in God. However the amount of scientific theory and fact that has been thrown at me makes me wonder. It makes me think. It makes me doubt.
My question is this. Should I just give up for now and maybe take a break? Or should I keep pursuing my goal of finding my true belief? Should I have made a decision by now? Or is it completely acceptable to spend half of my life trying to figure it out?

Opinions please.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
It's completely acceptable to spend your entire life trying to figure it out; nobody ever does. Anybody that tells you they have all the answers is lying.

Viggenstien

Registered Member
Thank you. Reassurance is helpful. I went through the whole "I hate everything about everyone who is religious" period so, it's as if I am new to the whole thing, ya know?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
if i were you i'd quit.
it's about religion and no one is 100% sure in what they believe in. i'd rather spend my time doing scientific researches out of which i could come up with proven and true things than keep on searching about religion and still wondering if God exists.
no one knows for sure, so i'd say it's better to leave it at that as you'll never have a true answer.
in this case, belief has nothing to do with proving . it has to do with the inner sensation of yours. when there's a confrontation of science and religion, the latter is most likely to NOT win because for the most part science has facts while religion barely has any. but if you wish to believe in God that's fine but don't confront it with science because you'll always be wondering...
so i wouldn't tell you to stop believing, i'd tell you to not dedicate the researches much of your time...just like you used to. ..
as you said for the amount of time and energy, and the lack of real decision making, you won't get what you should out of it.

Last edited:

Viggenstien

Registered Member
That's very good advice. I think my issue also has to do with the whole "I'm still a teenager and I'm confused about everything" thing. I mean, I WANT to believe, I just feel as if everything else that has been thrown at me as made it hard. I think I should just talk to myself when I'm alone and depressed. At least that way I would know someone hears me. Haha.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
You could be a skeptic. I think I'm one of those.

I'd like to believe in a higher power of some kind, but I cannot believe in any based on my experiences, knowledge, logic, etc.

Basically, you're not an atheist, not a theist, but not quite agnostic because you're leaning one way. You'd be willing to accept a higher power, but you need some kind of proof that will make you go "oh, that's good enough for me".

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Scientific theory doesn't stop many people from believing in God/higher being/call it what you may.
Many say that science disproves God, I say they go hand in hand. Science doesn't negate the possibility of a God.
You have all your life to keep on searching, finding answers, but even the most ardent believers don't have all the answers.
If you believe in a higher being, then believe in it regardless of the proofs people throw at you. Those proofs do not negate the possibility of the existence of a God.

Viggenstien

Registered Member
All very good advice. I suppose that with the new information you guys have given me I should do a tad more thinking. But I think all the things you guys have told me will help a lot down the road. Thank you!

I have a bit of a dilemma. ... I ... don't know what I believe. ... I believe in religion, I do. I believe it's a wonderful thing and I believe that when embraced it can make life that much easier.
However, I feel like ... I'm not getting what I should out of it. ... should I keep pursuing my goal of finding my true belief?
- I think you are approaching it wrong. From your word choice (specifically the words in bold) it seems to me as if you are viewing religion almost as if it's a tool to make life better. It also seems as if you view religion as a personal tool to get through life (which is why you used the phrase "my true belief").

It is important that you maintain a correct perspective on what your quest specifically is about. It sounds to me as if you are searching for answers; answers about life, and our very existence. You are searching for the truth. Consequently, you are not searching for something that is personal or subjective... you are searching for something absolute, something concrete. Your heart is aching for some concrete truth.

I suggest that you continue your quest for God. If you are certain that He exists then you should sincerely pray to Him for guidance and wisdom. "I love those who love me, and those who seek me will find me". Ask Him for help. Request that He reveal Himself and His plan to you.

Because, in all honesty... He is our King.

Sure, I would love to believe in God. However the amount of scientific theory and fact that has been thrown at me makes me wonder. It makes me think. It makes me doubt.
- Science is unable to prove or disprove the existence of God because God is outside the scope of science. Science can only observe the physical universe. If God is the Creator of the physical universe, then consequently He is not a part of the universe, thus science cannot determine His existence or non-existence.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Vig,

Don't listen to a pitch man like FTS, he's just selling you a product he's already bought into. In a case like this, YOU have to determine the answer. When you try and get answers from other people, they will simply suggest you live the way they do, not the way you want to. Give it more time, perhaps religion isn't for you, perhaps you'll find one you like. Either way, you need to answer that problem, not someone else.