• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How long does it take you to finish a novel?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Sometimes I can finish a regular sized, 500 page novel in about a day, if I start in the morning and stay focused and read.

However, that never happens anymore lol. Now it takes me about 6 months to read the same sized novel. I sometimes go a month without reading any of it. Now that I'm bussing to work everyday, I'm able to read everyday again, and my speed is picking up again, but it just seems I can't find the focus to sit down and read for hours on end anymore.

What about yourselves? Does your mind inhale the words and absorb the story as fast as it can? Or do you like to dawdle and take your time reading a novel?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I used to love reading books, like you I could finish a novel in a day, I have read all Harry Potter books in a day, in their respective release days of course. Nowdays, my attention span has gone down the drain, I can only read a book if I am trying to pass time.

I remember buying a book in Queensland earlier this year, read half of it on the flight and can't even locate it right now, I feel bad because the book was awesome too.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm always surprised though that even when I come back to a book after a month of not reading it, I instantly remember what I've already read, so I just pick up where my bookmark is, and I'm not confused at all.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I'm always surprised though that even when I come back to a book after a month of not reading it, I instantly remember what I've already read, so I just pick up where my bookmark is, and I'm not confused at all.
I can't do that, all I remember is the names and some bits and pieces otherwise I have to set myself back twenty or so pages to get that feeling again.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I have a very typographic memory (is that a word?). I remember everything I read forever. I still remember books that I read as a kid. Gus was a worm who didn't know he was a caterpillar! Anyways, thats another reason I can read faster, is because I don't really read per say, I just look at the words on the page, and my brain remembers them, and then I start making sense of it as i move on to looking at the next page. Its great for reading textbooks lol.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's like asking how long is a piece of string, if it's a short novel it will take me a short amount of time, if it's long it will take me longer.

It also depends on whether I'm at school how busy I am etc. There's really no way I can judge this. Sometimes I could take months to finish one large novel but other times I could knock it over in a day or two. It just depends what else I am doing and how much free time I have to read.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm wondering if that's "eidetic" memory you're referring to there, Danny? Not sure.

Anyway, I used to virtually inhale books as a child. I'd read through things like they were the oxygen my body craved. I remember reading Watership Down (y'know, the one with the bunnies) in just one day. I still don't know how I did it.

Nowadays, I'm exactly like you guys. I just can't focus enough to get through a novel in six months. It takes me forever! Plus, I now have this awful habit of falling asleep whenever I do try to read. Actually, come to think of it, I fall asleep whenever I watch telly now too.

Damn.

I've become an old man, haven't I? When did that happen?

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Longer than it should. I am a fast reader but I won't read a book day after day. I'll read a bit once or twice a week and then leave it for a while. I am terrible for that.
In the old days it would only take me 2 or 3 days. When I would read I'd have trouble stopping. I would do it until my eyes and head couldn't take it any more.

whiteraven

Registered Member
It matters how long the book is. I've read a book in 24 hours or sometimes it will take me days to finish it. It all has to do with how good the book is and how into it I get.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've finished novels (300 pages & 277 pages) & an 80 page e-novella in the past week. I guess it depends on my mood & what I'm doing. Work has been slow lately, so that's where I've been doing the bulk of my reading. I'm starting a new book (just under 300 pages) and should have that done within the next 2-3 days, maybe sooner.