How long do you wait after breaking up?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Mirage, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How long do you wait after breaking up before you are ready to date somebody else?

I'm sure for many it would depend on how long your last relationship lasted but feel free to answer according to your own experiences.

2. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

It would depend on the reasoning behind breaking up too. If theres a good chance you could make up and get back together, I wouldn't suggest jumping into a new relationship too soon.That would definitely mess things up.

I think it depends on how you feel I guess. As long as you're over the previous relationship, and you're ready to move on, I think there's no time that's too soon.

3. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I think it would depend on how bad the breakup was. In the past I have gone through a couple of bad breakups and each time I need a few months to sort of being alone and have a break from a relationship.

4. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I have been single for coming up to a year now, I have been on a couple of dates that ended in disaster as I was not really ready to try dating.

I think it depends on how long you with the person what kind of history you had, kids and how it ended, weather it was a mutual desicion or another reason such as cheating.

My relationship with my ex ended for many reasons that I will not go into now, and it hurt like hell.
    I had my first date a couple of months after the breakdown of the relationship and it was a disater because I was still badly messed up.

5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'd say a couple of months, on average. That's for me, at my age, and a serious relationship. If I were older and had kids with the person then it could take years. On the other hand, going back to being young, if it weren't a serious relationship at all then I don't believe it would take any time to be 'ready' to date again after a break up. Sometimes getting straight back out there helps.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't have a specific time frame. It's when I feel I'm ready for another one and when I found another one worth having a relationship with. If the combination is there 3 days after the break up, why not? :lol:

7. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I move on too far for my own good and I wait long actually because I want to learn from my mistakes and such.

8. TFHawk

TFHawk Registered Member

I've waited as long as a year before, and I've also only waited two weeks. I'm not sure, atleast for me, that it depends on the amount of time that the previous relationship lasted. My longest relationship was 3 years, and my shortest is about 10 months.

I just wait until I'm comfortable being in a relationship again. I know someone might say that relationships are different from dating, and I totally agree, and I know the question was about dating, but every time I go on a date it seems to turn into a relationship. So for me, the two terms have become almost synonymous, lol. Just whatever is most comfortable.

One of my friends told me that as soon as you find someone you want to date, that's when you know it's time to get back out there. I guess that can work for some people, but it's not a rule I use. There were a few times I had the chance to date a girl I liked after I had just broken up with a girl, but it just didn't feel right. Like I said, whatever feels right to you.

9. Emmana

Emmana Registered Member

:rolleyes: Since it is the end of a relationship between 2 people and not the death of a person then the choice of when to begin dating can occur immediately. There is no set grieving time for non-commital relationships. It is up to the individual.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

No set time. In the past for me it has been as little as 2 days and the current being 8 months. As soon as I feel i'm over that person, and aren't trying to get with someone else to spite the ex then i'm ready.