How long after

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Nibbles, May 21, 2009.

1. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

the expiration date are you willing to eat certain foods? Do factors like color, texture and smell influence if you would chuck it instead? I discovered some yogurt that expired a week ago in the back of the fridge. I opened it and the yogurt still looked and smelled good so I ate it anyway.

2. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

Wow, dairy after the expiration date? I'm a bitch, so I don't eat dairy past the date, I'm iffy doing it on the date.

I'm OCD about the dates. I won't eat anything past it.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Depends on what it is. Usually if it smells fine, I'm willing to risk it.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Yeah, it just depends on the type of food. I probably would risk yoghurt like you did, but anything dry or tinned is usually ok for a little while after the date. With foods like fruit where you can visibly see if it looks bad, that's much easier to tell.

5. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

With dairy products I won't touch them a second after the suggested use by date.

With other things though like crisps and fizzy drinks you can sometimes eat/drink them a fortnight after the sell by date.

With things like this it's all about common sense, if it smells or looks dodgy then don't eat it, simple really.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My husband does that with yogurt. I don't serve it to my kids past expiration date. I don't want to take the risk. I'm not as strict with other food's expiration date. I know that there's usually an allowance to it and it says "best before..." not necessarily "don't eat after..." :lol:. But yeah, you need to consider other factors like smell, taste, look...

7. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't pay attention to the expiration date on eggs. I've eaten them a month after date and they were fine.

I'll still eat bread after the date too...unless it's moldy or crusty.

8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I do that exactly same thing lol

I will give the milk a wiff if its a day two past the expiration and if its smells okay to me it's drinkable.

Yogurts the same way.

AnitaKnapp likes this.
  9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I have this bread (it's different from what the rest of the family uses) that doesn't go mouldy. I don't eat bread much at all so sometimes it's still around for weeks after it's use-by date. My mum thinks its really abnormal because it just refuses to go off so she throws it away anyway :lol:

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

A lot of my bread doesn't turn either. I wonder if it's because it's wheat. Maybe because the bread is a bit darker than white, I don't see the mold right away. ick. lol