How long after

the expiration date are you willing to eat certain foods? Do factors like color, texture and smell influence if you would chuck it instead? I discovered some yogurt that expired a week ago in the back of the fridge. I opened it and the yogurt still looked and smelled good so I ate it anyway.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
Wow, dairy after the expiration date? I'm a bitch, so I don't eat dairy past the date, I'm iffy doing it on the date.

I'm OCD about the dates. I won't eat anything past it.

Yeah, it just depends on the type of food. I probably would risk yoghurt like you did, but anything dry or tinned is usually ok for a little while after the date. With foods like fruit where you can visibly see if it looks bad, that's much easier to tell.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
With dairy products I won't touch them a second after the suggested use by date.

With other things though like crisps and fizzy drinks you can sometimes eat/drink them a fortnight after the sell by date.

With things like this it's all about common sense, if it smells or looks dodgy then don't eat it, simple really.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
the expiration date are you willing to eat certain foods? Do factors like color, texture and smell influence if you would chuck it instead? I discovered some yogurt that expired a week ago in the back of the fridge. I opened it and the yogurt still looked and smelled good so I ate it anyway.
My husband does that with yogurt. I don't serve it to my kids past expiration date. I don't want to take the risk. I'm not as strict with other food's expiration date. I know that there's usually an allowance to it and it says "best before..." not necessarily "don't eat after..." :lol:. But yeah, you need to consider other factors like smell, taste, look...

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't pay attention to the expiration date on eggs. I've eaten them a month after date and they were fine.

I'll still eat bread after the date too...unless it's moldy or crusty.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I don't pay attention to the expiration date on eggs. I've eaten them a month after date and they were fine.

I do that exactly same thing lol

I will give the milk a wiff if its a day two past the expiration and if its smells okay to me it's drinkable.

Yogurts the same way.

I have this bread (it's different from what the rest of the family uses) that doesn't go mouldy. I don't eat bread much at all so sometimes it's still around for weeks after it's use-by date. My mum thinks its really abnormal because it just refuses to go off so she throws it away anyway :lol:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I have this bread (it's different from what the rest of the family uses) that doesn't go mouldy. I don't eat bread much at all so sometimes it's still around for weeks after it's use-by date. My mum thinks its really abnormal because it just refuses to go off so she throws it away anyway :lol:
A lot of my bread doesn't turn either. I wonder if it's because it's wheat. Maybe because the bread is a bit darker than white, I don't see the mold right away. ick. lol