• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How ISIS got started

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
An ex-intelligence officer under the late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was “the strategic head” behind the Islamic State group and drew up the blueprints for the jihadists’ capture of northern Syria, German weekly Der Spiegel reported Sunday.
‘Bitter and unemployed’ officer under Saddam Hussein drew up Islamic State master plan

He started ISIS just because he was mad about the invasion of Iraq. This man wasn't even a Islamist he was a nationalist. They put al-Baghdadi in as the head to give the group a religious dimension. Well that dimension has become real now. They are killing Christians, Muslims, destroying historical sites, anyone or anything that gets in their way or has a different opinion of religion. Wish we had never invaded Iraq.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That's the kind of warped thinking some of these people have. They just need an excuse. These kinds of actions have been going on for centuries. It's been a breeding ground for this kind of stuff forever. The invasion of Iraq is just an excuse. The real reason probably is we invaded Iraq and thus Saddamm was not able to kill as many people as they wanted so let's take it out on everybody. It's not like Iraq would be a peaceful haven if Saddamm were still alive.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Im not surprised that it was an ex-intelligence officer under Sadam Hussein that started IS but it didnt have to be him and it wasnt "bitter and unemployed" that started IS.
The Sunni muslems had a lot of power in the Iraqi government under Saddam Hussein. They lost all their political power under the new government after the US-led invasion. They wanted that power back.

So yeah ISIS woulda started even without Iraqi intelligence officers. They want their political power back and that will continue with or without politicial leaders.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not going to argue that Saddam was a great guy because he wasn't but he didn't slaughter the Christians and other minorities in Iraq like is going on now. At least not as long as they stayed out of his way.

Maybe it wouldn't have been ISIS but someone else and less organized. None of them would exist if Saddam was still there.

The Christian community in Iraq is one of the oldest in the region, dating back about 2,000 years, well before the introduction of Islam.

Since the start of the Iraq war in 2003, however, much the community has fled the country, diminishing its population within Iraq’s borders by about half.

Under Saddam Hussein, Iraq was ruled by the Baath party, a secular government. Hussein himself was a Sunni Muslim; Sunni Muslims comprise about 35 percent of Iraqis.

Since Hussein’s government was a minority government. Other minorities, including Christians, “felt much more protected under the Hussein regime than they do currently,” says Brian Katulis of the Center for American Progress.
Why Did Assad, Saddam and Mubarak Protect Christians?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I agree with most of that last article except the last paragraph. Since the uprising started in Syria and despite the Christians high ranking place in society they have been getting killed and are fleeing Syria.
The west obviously didnt care very much about what happened to Christians in Iraq and Imo it will be the same if they topple Assad. The only real outcome from both wars is the creation of new States for terrorists to thrive in.The same thing has also happened in Libya.

Also imo as evil as Saddam was - no way he coulda ever killed as many people as have died since the start of the Iraq war. I only hope our leaders arent planning to make those same mistakes in Syria.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Yeah, but why would ISIS be doing what they're doing to Christians because of the invasion of Iraq? They've been doing this for centuries. They've been persecuting Christians forever. Maybe Saddam would have had more control over them, but I wouldn't connect the dots between this and the invasion. I would make a bigger connection to us pulling out.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yeah, but why would ISIS be doing what they're doing to Christians because of the invasion of Iraq? They've been doing this for centuries. They've been persecuting Christians forever. Maybe Saddam would have had more control over them, but I wouldn't connect the dots between this and the invasion. I would make a bigger connection to us pulling out.
yes. I have family that helped to secure Mosul. The city was secure when they left and now belongs to ISIS. I would say that the dictators that Bush and Obama overthrew seemed to do a fair job of oppressing extremist.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
We left a power vacuum in a former dictatorship and didn't care what filled the gap, until what filled the gap set it's sights on us. Some argue Saddam would've been the lesser of two evils. Personally, I feel if we're going to go in somewhere and change the balance of power, we should at least be prudent enough to permanently secure the place so that balance doesn't shift against us. But then, this is practical thinking, something the US government is not known for.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We started this mess by invading. There was no ISIS or al-Qaeda in Iraq until after we moved in. Sure Saddam was a bad guy but so is at least half of the other leaders in that part of the world.

Now that we bought the place it is costing us billions and many lives. Not only lives of Christians, Kurds, Yazidis but other Muslims. So how is this better than it was under Saddam

We can't stay in there forever Iraq has to take care of itself. I blame their leadership for this because they thought they would shut everyone but Sunnis out of the government. Hopefully their new leader will do better but somehow I doubt it.