• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How good is your Navigation?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I like maps - maybe it's a blokey thing or something, I'm not sure. Whenever I have a journey of any sizable distance, or whatever, especially with another bloke - E.G: Going golfing somewhere out of the norm etc. - Then we'll consult them.

And more often than not, like saddos, we'll spend longer than strictly necessary coming up with the route. Studying the map at extreme length. -- I like geography, and so I kinda go to town on it. I like knowing places and stuff like that, and maps are just - well - so easy to follow and in a way strike me as lending me skills. I learn from them. If that makes sense, so I like them.

I'm not a big fan of Sat Navs. I prefer finding my own way. I find it's a far more worthwhile activity, as it increases my awareness of stuff, like where I am and that, and getting lost doesn't perturb me. It's all part of the trial and error process.

Anyway - To avoid more rabbiting, here's a few questions based around this subject.

1) Do you like maps? -- Do you prefer them over Sat Navs?
2) Do you think your navigational/geographical knowledge is ample enough to help you more or less find a route to pretty much anywhere on this earth? Or at least in your own country?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I'm in love with my sat nav. I wouldn't be able to get half the places I go to without it whilst I'm at home. So I'd definitely pick that over maps when driving.

Though, I do like maps and trying to figure them out. I also love long car rides and wouldn't mind getting lost. But since I'm paying for the gas, I like to be able to make sure I can get to where I'm going and I have an absolutely horrible sense of direction.

When I drive with my dad in the US (I'm the passenger), we go very long distances and take both the sat nav, for practical reasons, and a map, just out of interest. I prefer to look at the map to see where we are on the grand scheme of things, and passing lakes or random points of interest etc, though it's always comforting to have the electronic lady's "Where possible, make a legal U turn" voice for back-up. We've named her Lois.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I personally have never had a GPS or navigation system or whatever you wanna call it. I'll just use google maps and that gets me where I need to go...it's a lot cheaper solution.

My Dad is very old school but we have used my sister's navigation system the past two years on vacation and he's been surprisingly keen to the idea. It's a pretty cool thing to have. I think on a vacation it would be important to have.

Also, my sister named it Martha. Yep.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
All of the folks that I know, and have rode with, that have a GPS system, we ended up taking a longer route than if we had just enlisted the help of a regular map. I loathe the GPS systems in cars, I won't ever have one. One time, it had my cousin and I going round and round in circles, and the place we needed to get to, was like 2 blocks to the left! I know sometimes when you punch in an address, the GPS system may not be able to direct you there in the shortest distance for whatever reason, so I don't trust those things. I can pretty much look at a map and figure out my plans. I have driven thru hideous traffic such as Atlanta where it turns in to 8 lanes on the interstate, what a trip :) And Nashville is pretty hectic at times too.

karaixx

Registered Member
I like maps too, weather I'm driving, cycling or walking. When I need to go to a certain unknown place, by car, I first check the map on google, and then I bring the GPS with me. I can't rely only on the GPS, because the routes it makes are not the best sometimes. And other times it gets me driving on circles.

It is also very cool to explore a new city with the help of a map that points out the top sights.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Do you have a good direction sense?

My sense of direction sucks. Often I must consciously remember positions, landmarks or mentally construct a path as I travel. I cannot memorise a path without trying to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I think I have a very good sense of direction. I'll try to remember every sign or the most important signs witch help me find the way.
If I realize the path is very difficult, I'll always make sure to have a piece of paper and a pen with me, to take notes.

If others describe me the path, I'll do anything to find it myself. If not, I'll ask people on the street.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have a GPS, like Millz I usually just print off the directions off of Google Maps. GPS are very useful, but can be very annoying at times.

Some times it doesn't know where to go, and it will always say re-calculating and it takes you even more time to get to your destination of your choice. But none the less, if someone bought me one, I'd definitely use it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I was champion of orienteering at my university when it held a university wide competition while I was sophomore. Me and my mom moved a lot when I was young and I think the changing neighborhood and directions to and from school made me more conscious about finding tricks to situate myself so I don't get lost. So maybe it's a survival skill I learned from those moves.

People are lazier now with the arrival of GPs and stuff. I still like the old fashioned way and looking for markers when I go to places. Sometimes when I'm not driving, I don't pay attention but if I wanted to, I could go to one new place with turns and stuff and know exactly how to go back the next time. It's useful also for taking cabs. :)

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I was champion of orienteering at my university when it held a university wide competition while I was sophomore. Me and my mom moved a lot when I was young and I think the changing neighborhood and directions to and from school made me more conscious about finding tricks to situate myself so I don't get lost. So maybe it's a survival skill I learned from those moves.

People are lazier now with the arrival of GPs and stuff. I still like the old fashioned way and looking for markers when I go to places. Sometimes when I'm not driving, I don't pay attention but if I wanted to, I could go to one new place with turns and stuff and know exactly how to go back the next time. It's useful also for taking cabs. :)
I've only ever been given the chance to do Orienteering twice, both when in school. It's not like the sort of activity that seems available as a -well, activity - in my normal domain of life. I enjoyed that activity quite a bit, because I am a saddo --- I would like to participate again, and to be honest, with the right bunch of mates dragged along, I dare say it'd be a right laugh.

-- I think I'll go looking for such societies that cater for saddoes.
You've got me thinking here, I'm gonna rep you for doing so.