How fast food chains affect young kids

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by redsoxocd, Sep 1, 2009.

1. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

I've always been amazed about how young kids respond to fast food restuarants. At the same time, now that I've grown up a bit, I dont understand why some parents allow their kids to eat at them so often.

I used to LOVE going to McDonalds and Burger King but now I can only stand going about once or twice a month without feel completely disgusting afterwards. My little brother used to love eating at these places but now he hates them (this is also amazing to me because he is only 9).

Yesterday my mom and I were walking back to her house with my nephew after a trip to Sub Way. When we passed by a McDonalds my nephew started pointing and saying "Eat. Eat." Okay, this is rediculous...he's 14 months. His dad is constantly going to McDonalds and getting him stuff.

The fact that kids are affected this much my these chains is a big concern for the future youth.

2. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

This makes me sick, too! I used to eat that crap as a kid, and I'm amazed I survived. I hate how they market to kids. It's really a slight form of child abuse to feed your kids that stuff.

I agree with you about your nephew. 14 months? Geez! TOO YOUNG for fast food. I mean, no one should eat it.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You should be hating the parents, not the company. A lot of companies have begun retracting their advertising to kids but that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of irresponsible and inept parents out there.

Yeah, that's a little too early. Associating eating with fast food joints that young can be pretty effective in creating a life-long customer.

4. NINnerd

Oh I do. That's why I said it's a slight form of child abuse. But it's even more difficult to not take your kids there when your kids are in the back throwing huge fits over it. But ultimately, it's the parents' faults, yes.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I've never had a problem letting my girls eat fast food in moderation. Should I take away the ice cream and other treats too?
    "A slight form of child abuse"? Really, NINnerd? Your kids will be on a strict organic diet then? Maybe if it's the ONLY thing a kid eats, but that's not what you said. I think the word "abuse" should be saved for actual abuse.

Boredie and Tucker like this.
  6. Merc

Yeah, I agree on that part, too. "Abuse" is one of those words that is tossed around so often these days, it's no wonder parents are paranoid about everything they do. Fast food is fine in low moderation, but I think people rely on it too much and they seem to think that only places like McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's qualify as fast food. They forget to mention pizza joints like Dominos, coffee shops like Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, and other places.

7. NINnerd

In my opinion, it really is a form of abuse. I said "slight", because it's not as bad as beating a kid or anything. But you are setting them up for a lifetime of poor health!

Ice cream that is made with real ingredients (not words you can't pronounce) is fine. Look at a tub of Haagen Dazs. All the ingredients are natural, and that's fine.

I don't think the occasional treat is bad, but there are much, much better alternatives than fast food. That stuff doesn't even decompose! I eat it cause it's quick sometimes, and every time I'm sorry. I feel super sick afterwards. And once a kid gets it a few times, they tend to throw a fit for it after that.

My dad's wife is raising my little half brother in a very healthy environment. Yes, he can have a treat every once in a while, but he never gets fast food or potato chips (he gets the healthy kind of chips). My best friend, who is my age, was raised like that, and he still eats healthy to this day.

Think about what an unhealthy, fat kid goes through. Teasing at school, not picked for sports, diabetes...it's just not a great childhood.

Now, is every case this extreme? No. But here in America, many of the cases are.

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Do you realize how many times a day every parent "slightly" abuses their child then? From the moment they wake up breathing that fresh furnace/ac air, to the moment they lay down for the night on that mite filled bed, lovingly made with chemical washed sheets, it's just one long day of abuse.:rolleyes:

I buy what happens to be on sale, which many, many people are forced to do. I've done the organic only diet, guess what? It's now out of my price range so I've stooped to abuse in order to feed the kids. Maybe they'll forgive me one day.

How can you admit to eating it, yet fight against it so hard?

Have you ever checked out the school lunches? The kids might as well be eating fast food.
    It's a matter of moderation, that's all. Many overweight kids are not that way from fast food alone, processed foods are a huge culprit as well.

9. Merc

To add on to Angels' post, it's not just the food that contributes to obesity in kids but a lack of physical activity, something a lot of schools are doing a very good job of removing. For example, I know my local school system began charging hefty fees for playing school sports and cut back on P.E. requirements.

Fat kids, here we come!

10. NINnerd

I don't think that feeding your kid fast food (aka: empty calories that do nothing nutritional) is the same as washing their sheets in Tide. It's something that is easier to control than laundry detergent, A/C air, etc.

I never said it has to be organic. But making your kid chicken breast (cheap) and canned veggies (cheap) is so much better than fast food. Anything on sale at the grocery store in the produce and meat aisle is better than fast food. And the theatrics in your posts aren't needed.

I'm against it for kids. I'm an adult, and I can do whatever I want to my body.

I know. That's why my kids won't be eating those either.

You are right on that one. It's processed foods, as well.

I never said that we have to eliminate fast food all together for kids. I'm just saying that:

-It's something that should be eaten VERY rarely, if ever.
    -It's a hard habit to break for a kid once you start them on it. They get a fun toy in their meal and a big play area whenever they go. They will put up fits for it after that (most kids, anyways).

Merc likes this.