How far would you Commute to Work?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've never bitched about my commute to work. Its an easy 10 minute drive over something like 15 miles I think. Nothing bad really, however I do have a cousin that drives upwards of 120 miles to work every day (Fresno, Ca --> Gilroy, Ca) and I've always thought she was insane. I just dont see how any money could be worth that much of a commute. Not even taking into consideration the Gas Expense!

But then I saw this Article:

JANESVILLE, Wis. – In the early dawn, after another week building cars, Michael Hanley leaves his job in Kansas. He quickly zips into Missouri, then heads up a ribbon of highway past grain silos and grazing deer, across the frozen fields of Iowa, over the Mississippi River and into the rolling hills of Wisconsin. Finally, he pulls into his driveway — 530 miles later.

It's one heck of a haul: more than 1,000 miles roundtrip, 16-plus hours of driving, every week.

A job, but there's a catch: a 1,000-mile commute - Yahoo! News
Over a 1000 miles is just way to much IMO. But like the article asks... what do you do? Stay where theres no work opportunity or follow the jobs?

So what about you, do you have a rough Commute to work? I couldnt imagine it'd be half as bad as this guys. :hah: But taking him into consideration... what would be the furthest you'd ever commute to a place of work.....every day.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The furthest I would go would probably be an hour. When I first moved to the Dallas area, my commute was 45 minutes for 15 miles. It was annoying. Right now it's about about 15-20 minutes for a 5 mile commute. It's much better. Since I have such a short commute now, I'm not sure that it would be very easy for me to go back to a larger one.

My mum's assistant at work drives up from Brighton every single day. The company is based in my home town, and that commute is pretty crazy to do. It's 2 hours long according to Google maps, and that's not even accounting for the rush hour traffic she must have to go through.

So that's what, about 5 or so hours travel time every day. mad.

I'm thinking about it more as in petrol cost, because personally I wouldn't mind travelling long distances to work if I didn't have to pay. Anything over 45 minutes/1 hour though and I would feel like it was cutting too much into sleeping time.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't drive to far, I currently drive 15 minutes to go to work(depending on traffic) and 15 minutes to come back, it's about 12-15km.

I use to know these guys that use to drive two hours just to go work and two hours to drive back home, and the pay wasn't even that great. That to me is crazy.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I have quite a long commute to work considering I don't have a car. Takes about 15-20 minutes in a car depending on freeway traffic. I think this would have been to far to bus and walk but since we have a light rail that's quite fast the majority of the commute is taken care of by a 15 minute Trax ride. Then a 15 minute walk, I enjoy walking for short distances so I don't mind it.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't even consider anything over an hour. That's just crazy imo, move closer to your job. Currently my commute is a 10 minute drive each way, sometimes more or less depending if I hit the lights right. After getting used to such a short drive, I think anything too much more would bug me.

hughes_collector

Registered Member
I don't have a car, and where I live the bus system doesn't go very far, so a long commute would be impossible for me.

And that's probably one of the reasons I can't find employment right now, too- because nearly every job opening says "Must have your own vehicle". Depressing when you can't do anything about it...

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I live within pissing distance from my work, but it's common enough here for people to commute 100+ miles for work, though most commuters that I know of would use public transport such as the bus or train.
The price of petrol/diesel doesn't come into it for most people, but the slow rush-hour traffic.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Depends on traffic, really. I would rather drive for an hour on open roads than 30 minutes in heavy traffic or lots of stop lights. I think those would be my limits.