• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you rank the Star Wars Films?

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's a discussion I've had with multiple friends recently.

If you had to rank all the Star Wars films in the order that you most liked them, how would you do it?

Here's mine.

5, 3, R1, 9, 1, 4, 7, 6, 8, 2

I haven't seen Solo so it's not included in my list.

I disagree with the general thought that Episode 1 wasn't a good film. I really loved it. It's also the last movie in the franchise that was made in the traditional way.

I was also overtly impressed with Rogue One and Episode 9 (surprisingly). 8 and 2 are steaming trash compared to the rest. I still find enjoyment in them but they're definitely among the worst if not the worst 2 films.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I just did this in the other thread so here goes:

IV: Last Hope
VI: Return of the Jedi
V: Empire Strikes Back
IX: Rise of Skywalker
VII: The Force Awakens
Rouge One
VIII: The Last Jedi
III: Revenge of the Sith
Solo
II: Attack of the Clones
I: Phantom Menace

I had some tough choices in here. I could be perfectly happy switching Empire and Rise and Last Jedi/Revenge of the Sith. I give Jedi the edge over Sith because of the visuals, coherent storytelling, and lack of a wooden Hayden Christianson. I'm also a bit of a homer for the original trilogy.

dDave

V.I.P.
I just did this in the other thread so here goes:

IV: Last Hope
VI: Return of the Jedi
V: Empire Strikes Back
IX: Rise of Skywalker
VII: The Force Awakens
Rouge One
VIII: The Last Jedi
III: Revenge of the Sith
Solo
II: Attack of the Clones
I: Phantom Menace

I had some tough choices in here. I could be perfectly happy switching Empire and Rise and Last Jedi/Revenge of the Sith. I give Jedi the edge over Sith because of the visuals, coherent storytelling, and lack of a wooden Hayden Christianson. I'm also a bit of a homer for the original trilogy.
Hayden Christensen wasn't too impressive but he was much better in 3 for the most part. I really blame George Lucas though, the wooden acting is in many ways his fault I think.

I'm surprised at your dislike for Episode 3. It's amazingly well written and very exciting. A few small critiques here and there (mainly the talking droids being idiots). I really liked it.

Doc

V.I.P.
I don't hate III as much as I think that the modern movies and original trilogy were way, way better executed movies. I'm not as entertained by III as I am most of the other movies, even Phantom Menace. I used to be an apologist but, other than podracing being really cool, that movie makes no damn sense to me.

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't hate III as much as I think that the modern movies and original trilogy were way, way better executed movies. I'm not as entertained by III as I am most of the other movies, even Phantom Menace. I used to be an apologist but, other than podracing being really cool, that movie makes no damn sense to me.
When's the last time you watched it? I think the story in 1 is fantastic. The story is carried throughout the whole prequel trilogy (admittedly, mostly in 1 and 3) and tells a really interesting political story. If you look at it from an American perspective, it actually makes you ask some important questions about modern day society. (at least it did for me).

Also. The Pod Racing game for N64 was legit.

Doc

V.I.P.
I've seen the entire saga in the past year. I watched them all leading up to Rise of Skywalker coming out. It was actually that watch through that made me re-think my order.

I hate the politics in the prequel trilogy. I don't need an hour of why the republic and trade federation aren't getting along when we could be showing all of the cool off screen antics of Obi and Ani.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've seen the entire saga in the past year. I watched them all leading up to Rise of Skywalker coming out. It was actually that watch through that made me re-think my order.

I hate the politics in the prequel trilogy. I don't need an hour of why the republic and trade federation aren't getting along when we could be showing all of the cool off screen antics of Obi and Ani.
I do agree it would have been awesome to see Obi Wan and Anakin together more. Probably the thing that disappointed me most about Episode 1 was Qui-Gon's death. I think he would have been a much better teacher for Anakin. Qui-Gon's death is honestly likely the reason Darth Vader ever existed. He would never have let Anakin be so whiny and he probably would have caught the chancellor in the web of lies before anyone else.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I just finished the Episode 9 and here's how I'd rank them...

V
VII
IV
RO
VI
VIII
IX
III
I
II

Man, the newest trilogy really fell apart as it went along. Rise of Skywalker was a MESS. I hope Star Wars goes away for awhile. I'll edit this ranking if/once I see Solo.

Doc

V.I.P.
Solo is more of a generic action film than a Star Wars film. I'm glad they didn't continue with the "in-between" movies.

dDave

V.I.P.
Solo is more of a generic action film than a Star Wars film. I'm glad they didn't continue with the "in-between" movies.
I would have liked to see a movie about the relationship between Vader and the Empire or maybe a movie about Yoda in training or something. A Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan movie also would have been amazing.

Rogue One was a phenomenal film so I’m inclined to think the issue may have been more with Solo specifically rather than the in-between films.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Music 8
Mirage Breaking News 9
Babe_Ruth Sports 6
Mirage Wrestling 1
Unity NFL 4