How do you prefer to get a game?

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Do you prefer to buy the game online and download it or just go into a store and buy a actual DVD?

I prefer going in and getting the DVD of a game, mainly so I don't have to wait for the download and I can re-install the game when I like without having to download it again if I remove it.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Call me old fashioned, but I actually like having a physical copy, something I can actually hold and feel in my hands, something I can drag out of a box in x years time and say "Hey, I remember this, this was awesome! Let's re-play it!"

You can't get that with digital copies. And if I want a digital copy, I can just make an ISO of it (all hail Fair Use laws!)

I'm with Storm, I like to have a physical copy of the game. The only way I'll download it is if it is on the PSN, and that is the only way I can get it.

Last edited:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Yeah, I much prefer a physical copy. I don't feel there's as much security with a digital copy, plus with physical discs you can swap, share, sell or borrow them. Can't do that with a digital copy.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I prefer having a physical copy of it. I have bought a few online...and then forgotten what email/pw I used to buy it, so couldn't get it back after I had gotten a new computer.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Physical for me. Can't beat the feel of opening the case and looking and smelling the game haha.

Twitch

Registered Member
I'll go with everyone and say that I want the physical copy. Just so if I end up not liking it, or my friend wants to buy it off me or something, I can sell it.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
I prefer to download. I <3 Steam.

The only downside of downloading games digitally is you're unable to trade them off or sell them, not that you get much for it anyways. Plus, they have ridiculous sales to begin with, so if you happen to like the game a lot and put a ton of hours into it then it's already paid for itself over and over.

Most of the time I only buy games -%50 off or greater. Most of the time I find myself going back and beating the same games 5-6 years later as it is, so I'm happy they are all located in one place and I can choose to install or not.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
The only downside of downloading games digitally is you're unable to trade them off or sell them...
You actually forget a major downside; that should the download service go down, you're unable to download those games (legally) ever again.

It is something I have to remind myself whenever I load up Steam...

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
You actually forget a major downside; that should the download service go down, you're unable to download those games (legally) ever again.

It is something I have to remind myself whenever I load up Steam...
Yes, and no. Steam is only growing (except if you ask me the beta UI is disgusting and is literally going in reverse in design), and I'm certain that if the empire ever got toppled that there is an insurance policy set in place so people can walk away with their current games. After all, even games purchased through Steam come with their original key-codes, when you buy a product you buy the product key. However, if it's done by an indie developer, one who only deals through Steam then it might be an issue as they probably don't have a professional site for an alternate download.

It raises a good question though and I'm not honestly not certain. Though it seems very unreal that when dealing with something that big you'd just end up losing everything.