How do you motivate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barbara, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

Whether it be yourself, children, coworkers or any other being how do you personally motivate people? What is your technique in getting what needs to be accomplished done?

Personally I make everything into a competition. I'm ridiculously competitive so I try to convince myself as such. Prime example would be when I am at work a few coworkers and I "race" down the aisles with putting product onto the shelf and facing (pulling it forward with the label sticking outwards) it all. Not only does that method motivate me to work harder it also makes the night go by faster.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Competition/challenge works for some people I know. It works for me, for example. I also use peptalk - some just need the right push to be motivated to do something. And when everything else fails, there's also blackmail. haha

3. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

YSABEL! What have I told you about threatening black mail before dinner?!

My pep talks always seem to be full of epic and fails.

"Come on GUYS! We can DO IT! OK sure we are down a couple people and the truck is late and we have 1400 boxes to break down and throw and only 4 hours to do it. . ."

And that's about the time everyone around me face palms.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Competing with my workmates helps me go a long way, I have always been competitive since I was a kid.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Curse this avatar exchange. I thought why would ysabel talk to herself? Not that it's surprising...

Sometimes it's better to start your peptalk with something that seems to empathize "I feel your pain :blah:" then move to the good part like you have some eureka moment. You have to be hyper about it too (think cheerleader with a pompom) and hope that your enthusiasm will be contagious.