How do you keep your mind from wandering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nihilated, Jul 31, 2008.

1. nihilated

nihilated Registered Member

Whenever you do your work, how do you keep yourself focused for long periods of time? How long can you focus on one thing for?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I remind myself what's going to happen if I don't finish. I also remind myself how much of a pain it's going to be doing it last minute.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I can't. My mind is always wandering, regardless of what I'm doing. The more I try to concentrate on something, the more I think of something else.
    The only time I can stay focused is when I'm writing and I'm sure that's because I'm constantly running scenerios through my head.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It depends on the situation.

Sometimes the best way is to let your mind wander and not fight. When I allow it the freedom for a few minutes, then I regain my concentration easily after.

When I cannot afford to let it wander - for example, I have a thing to finish urgently - then I write down key points on a paper of things I'll allow myself to think of after. Once I do that, my mind is more relaxed because it knows that it can continue its journey later instead of trying to hold some image on my head for fear that I may forget about thinking it (especially when it's something I'd like to spend time to think about). Then I go back to work.

5. patkick

patkick #21

I regularly take breaks. And I also remind myself that hard work pays off. I don't want to be one of those countless lazy teenagers.

I can probably keep intense focus for like 30 minutes. Then I take a break and continue with that.

6. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Think of what will happen if I fail.

I'm a lazy git and I hardly ever do any real hard work, I'm always putting things off to the last minute anyway.

7. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I think to myself if I stay focused and just pay attention it will be over alot quicker and I can get to doing more important things.

8. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I take 400-800mgs of magnesium in the night, and the next day, I will be focused like a computer.

Apart from that, yes, breaks help a lot. Short breaks, very often.

9. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

Usually if there is enoughng on I can stay focused, but even then on occasion my mind drifts off thinking of things I would either rather be doing or things I will do after work.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I can't, sometimes it wanders to good things, sometimes bad...usually bad but i deal with it.