• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you feel about

preventedfuture

Sony and the PS3 being behind in the console wars? After watching the post from ATOS tonight and learning of the 360 being far ahead of the 3 major consoles in the race to become number 1. Speculations of the PS3 actually holding back something huge in the future of the next gen. games. I do figure this because of the lack of highly rated games from sony in the quater of release til now. Sure there are few great games that hold up to the capability of the PS3. But how could this happen with the huge success of the PS2. Unless their not worried about the fact of being in third place they must have something massive coming up?

Fife

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Could you link to the post you're referring to, in case someone else hasn't read it yet?

Sony's biggest problems are price and the fact that developers really don't know how to get all of the power out of the PS3. It's said that they have a very hard to develop for kit, which would mean that games aren't going to be as good as they could be. No, I repeat, NO games are living up to the PS3's capabilities. They're worried about being in third place because they dropped the 20 gig model of the PS3 due to dismal sales and cost to produce. They're losing 3-400 per PS3 sold.

Gwiz

Registered Member
I hope so because they are going downhill pretty fast. There are a few great upcoming titles such as GTA4, Metal gear 4 that will help their console. I expect more price drops coming in the future.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
When the full power of the PS3 is realized by game developers it will do a lot better with exclusive titles.

I have a friend who just got a PS3 and I'd honestly say that out of the three choices I'd probably rather have a PS3 now as well due to the advanced realistic racing games that tend to be released on PlayStation over the others.

BlueSamurai

(the 360 had a year long jumpstart)
but the Wii is only less than 2 mil behind the 360

sony cant do a big price drop..the one they have now is only temp...(you know how much money they are losing ..even with full price)..what they can do is release a Ps3 that has DVD/HD-DVD instead of bluray..which will make it alot cheaper

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Releasing a PS3 with a DVD/HD-DVD drive would be like Chevy selling a Corvette with a 4 cylinder non-turbo Honda Civic engine in it.

ALL PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs as far as I know, which means they would have to release "dumbed down" versions of all of their games so far. Blu-Ray holds 50+ GB while dual layer DVD holds only 9. That would be the dumbest thing Sony could do.

So XBOX 360 wants to boost sales. Should Microsoft kill the DVD drive and offer a CD-ROM version? That's about what Sony would be doing with a downgrade to DVD. :(

And Gwiz, GTA4 is coming out for XBOX 360 as well so that won't help PS3 sales at all. :(

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A good way for the 360 to add a little umph would be to add a HD-DVD player to it, since they're reverse-compatible with DVD (which is the 360 format).

Also, more exclusive titles. They need to find a huge third-party franchise, like Final Fantasy or the Elder Scrolls series and make them exclusive. It would do wonderful things for sales.

Halo 3 is going to set sales records, I can see it coming.

BlueSamurai

oh yeah halo 3 will be a record breaker, but will it be good? who knows...the storyline for halo 2 was complete junk. i know the multiplayer will be awesome though..

im more exited for Super Smash Bro's Brawl :D

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Umm...If halo 3 is going to break records, wouldn't it have to be good?

And what was wrong with the Halo 2 storyline? For a FPS, it was a great story, and someone must have loved it....Considering Halos going to be a movie...

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wasn't a big fan of Halo 2. Somehow I think that Halo 3 will still be pretty awesome. In fact I'd be willing to bet it COULD be one of the best console based FPS games ever IF they make it less "Unreal" ish.

Halo 2 was an Unreal Tournament clone with Master Cheif added in. In fact Halo 2 was a last minute game made so that Bungie could save the earth battle for Halo 3. They had hyped that up as being part of Halo 2 for the longest time. We all saw the first level gameplay on IGN and then when the game came around we were all surprised to be playing the equivalent of a "Super Mario Bros 2" replacement game. (SPB2 was actually some random other easier Japanese game that had Mario characters added in at the last minute when Nintendo decided the real SMB2 would have been too hard for US players... ouch!)