• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you feel about texting?

MedicineShow

Registered Member
Hey guys,

The thread about giving out your number in D&R made me curious about how this varies community feels about texting. Are you constantly texting, do you just text on occasion, or do you refuse to text at all? What texting habits in others piss you off?

Despite my age, I'm not a fan of texting at all. The world we live in has forced me to text on occasion, but I refuse to sit around all day drawing out a conversation that could be had in twenty seconds. I'll exchange no more than three or four texts per person per session, and if you go above that, I'll either call you if it's somewhat important or I'll just stop replying if it isn't. One thing I should mention, though, is that I text exactly like I type, which is quite exhausting on a flip phone (no, I will not get a touchscreen phone).

As you might guess, meeting girls my age or even older is quite frustrating. All they want to do is text all fucking day. Call me old fashioned, but are there no girls of my generation that take pleasure in getting to know someone with a pre-date phone call? My friends and so on are easier to deal with. If they text me, it's short and sweet, but they'll usually make a quick phone call instead if they want to talk.

Oh, one more thing that bugs me-- trying to have a conversation with someone while hanging out or on a date and them having their nose in their phone the whole time. I've walked away from people for that shit. God forbid I disrupt your precious texting time by trying to talk to you in person.

Yeah, didn't plan on that being a rant, but here we are. :-o

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't text but the only time it makes me mad is these people that do it while driving or trying to cross a road and don't even look to see if anyone is coming. What is so important that you can't wait until you are at least stopped.

If I was out with someone and they texted the whole time I would be wondering why I'm even there.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Yup, I'm totally with you and Hi on that one. I can't stand people who have their noses buried in a phone when you're trying to have a conversation with them. Makes me want to punch things. It really does.

When it comes to texting in general though, I have to admit that I much prefer that to talking over the phone. The reason for this is that it's difficult for me to talk on a phone with my hearing aid and all. Texting is a necessity for me, and much more comfortable when I need to contact someone fast.

But I do get what you're saying. If I wasn't deaf, I'd much prefer to talk on the phone. It is much more immediate and straightforward than having to type everything out. Texting can be so time consuming!

Last edited:

MedicineShow

Registered Member
That's different, though. If I knew someone who had difficulty with using a phone because of their hearing aid, I'd definitely make an exception.

Of course, you could do what my elderly father does-- yank your hearing aid out, blast the speakerphone, and make people yell into their phones. Wait, on second thought, what you're already doing probably works better. :-o

If I was out with someone and they texted the whole time I would be wondering why I'm even there.
Exactly. I just refuse to sit there like an idiot until someone is ready to resume the here and now. Done it before and never again.

By the way, I just noticed you're a chick. Your avatar and vibe put an image of Walker in my head. :lol:

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like texting for the most part. If I only have a little thing to say its much easier to text that than call them up...especially if I'm at work and I'm not going to want to disturb my cube mates with a personal phone call.

If you have alot of stuff to say or instructions or something like that, than yeah, calling is better. People who text and drive scare me the most. It can wait...or call. I don't even like driving and talking on the phone but texting is 100 times worse.

So I am all over the place with my post. My main point is that texting is a great thing for the most part. You can have convos with more than one person at once, its more convenient and its overall a nice option.

dDave

V.I.P.
Hey guys,

The thread about giving out your number in D&R made me curious about how this varies community feels about texting. Are you constantly texting, do you just text on occasion, or do you refuse to text at all? What texting habits in others piss you off?

Despite my age, I'm not a fan of texting at all. The world we live in has forced me to text on occasion, but I refuse to sit around all day drawing out a conversation that could be had in twenty seconds. I'll exchange no more than three or four texts per person per session, and if you go above that, I'll either call you if it's somewhat important or I'll just stop replying if it isn't. One thing I should mention, though, is that I text exactly like I type, which is quite exhausting on a flip phone (no, I will not get a touchscreen phone).

As you might guess, meeting girls my age or even older is quite frustrating. All they want to do is text all fucking day. Call me old fashioned, but are there no girls of my generation that take pleasure in getting to know someone with a pre-date phone call? My friends and so on are easier to deal with. If they text me, it's short and sweet, but they'll usually make a quick phone call instead if they want to talk.

Oh, one more thing that bugs me-- trying to have a conversation with someone while hanging out or on a date and them having their nose in their phone the whole time. I've walked away from people for that shit. God forbid I disrupt your precious texting time by trying to talk to you in person.

Yeah, didn't plan on that being a rant, but here we are. :-o
I totally feel your pain about girls and texting. I don't know what it is but some people (and it's usually girls from my experience) jsut text and text and text without end. The most texts I've ever sent in a day is probably something like 20-30 (I average closer to 5 on most days), I know people that have had their phones taken away by their parents because they would go for 300-400 daily. How hard is it to have a real conversation with someone? Sheesh. My generation, I swear...

I think texting is useful, it saves me the trouble of having to call someone to get a short message out. For example, I'll text someone to let them know where and when we're meeting or to send someone a short message of encouragement for the day or something. Occasionally I'll banter back and forth in a joking manner just for fun. I certainly am not addicted to texting like so many others are though.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Texting seems like such an ancient method of communication. :lol: At least here in SA, local calls, as well as any texts are NOT free. You pay for all calls and texts, so majority of people here use WhatsApp or something similar to communicate. And we probably use that more than calling, seeing as calls are expensive.

Personally, I don't always like talking over the phone. But I always enjoy chatting over an IM, or even text then. But a personal chat over the phone trumps texting.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I love texting. I get a lot of anxiety when it comes to making phonecalls, and texting solves that. I much rather text than call when it comes to getting simple answers to un-urgent questions.

The only thing that peeves me about texting is a) people who text wanting immediate responses and b)girls who think you're a bad boyfriend if you're not constantly replying to their inane texts lol.

I treat texts like my email, I check them when I'm not busy. So I won't check my phone unless I'm on break at work, or inbetween videogame sessions etc.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Cant make any plans or anything without texting so yeah I would be totally lost if I didnt text. Its fast and its easy and no long convos over my phone or Skype when I wanna be doing something else. And no I wouldnt text and drive cuz I dont drive. =P But I do text more in cars.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Texting seems like such an ancient method of communication. :lol: At least here in SA, local calls, as well as any texts are NOT free. You pay for all calls and texts, so majority of people here use WhatsApp or something similar to communicate. And we probably use that more than calling, seeing as calls are expensive.

Personally, I don't always like talking over the phone. But I always enjoy chatting over an IM, or even text then. But a personal chat over the phone trumps texting.
Its funny you mention the Whatsapp thing. A few months ago I told Rebecca I was going to text my Mom and Unity about unrelated things and she asked if I meant text like text text or text like whatsapp text. And I meant text text.

The fact my Mom texts is a miracle on its own...I can't imagine her having a phone that has whatsapp or other chat software on it haha. I literally only use Whatsapp for GF people...none of my friends have it.

I suppose because everyone has free texting these days...right? Is there anybody in their right mind who doesn't? haha (I mean in America, of course)