• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you feel about not having RL friends here?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Do you wish you could have friends from your real life on this forum? DO you wish they joined this website? Have you told them about this forum?
What was their reaction?

I'm happy I have no real-life friends here. This forum is my own privacy, it's the only place where I don't have to worry about what people might think of me when I meet them in the street, in my everyday life.
This is another world and I'm glad to keep it apart from the real world.
If I had a friend here, I wouldn't feel comfortable about sharing details that I don't like to share with anyone in my real life.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I invited one of my best friends and she joined but never posted. I wish she would; she'd fit in well here. I'm thinking about inviting my cousin and her bf, too, I think they'd have fun here. I don't really draw a distinction between RL friends and Internet friends.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
None of my real life friends know about this forum and I'll never tell them about it or asked them to join. Not that I'm embarassed or anything, but this is just a place for me to discuss different topics with people all around the world. It doesn't really bother me that they're not here.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Do you wish you could have friends from your real life on this forum?
No, not anymore. I decided that I would keep all of my real life friends away from GF from now on becuase I prefer to keep it to myself as an escape.

Have you told them about this forum?
If the subject comes up, sure. I have nothing to hide. I just don't invite them to join.

What was their reaction?
Generally indifferent to the idea.

I'd like to add a new question to the list, too: Have you had any friends on GF and how has it worked out?

My answer to that is that it has generally never worked out well. There was on incident that ended in personal life leading to a friend being banned. In two other cases the friends didn't really understand the community well or just weren't interested.

Dabs

Registered Member
I have probably more friends online than I do in real life *ha*
Real truth, I have been a member of AOL for over 12 years now, and I have some friends from way back then.
We call each other, we send letters and cards and gifts.....a lot of them were right there with me when I lost my Mother and my Dad...in fact, one set of friends sent flowers to my Mother's and Dad's funerals.
I think the internet is a great place to meet new people.....meet new friends....just because we don't see them in person or can reach out and touch them....doesn't mean a great friendship can't be formed :)
I have a few friends who know about this place.
But it doesn't appear they post much...but everyone can tell you, I am the same on this forum as I am any other...and in real life :)

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I have 2 main groups of friends - those from home, and those I met at university, and it's a slightly different story for both of them with regards to this.

The latter, I would never want to find out about GF and would not like them here at all. With the more recent lot, I'm not bothered either way but my preference would still be no.

I had a big thing about keeping net stuff away from RL stuff, but I'm working on that and trying to let it go. There's no real logic in it any more for me. I still wouldn't like my old friends on here though, they wouldn't get the whole foruming thing.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Unity is the only close friend I have on here although I do know Kratzenkov personally as well.

There are just certain friends who don't get it...they don't get the online deal and if I tried to explain it to them they would just shake their head and think I'm weird. I don't care what they think and don't mind telling people about this place but when I think of all my friends I don't see them wanting to post anyway. Unity was the only one I could think of who would enjoy it.

The internet is different now...some people get it and some people don't. My cousin Steve just married someone he met on the internet. So yeah, I'd tell my friends about this place but I don't think you'll see any of them sign up.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Unity is the only close friend I have on here although I do know Kratzenkov personally as well.

There are just certain friends who don't get it...they don't get the online deal and if I tried to explain it to them they would just shake their head and think I'm weird. I don't care what they think and don't mind telling people about this place but when I think of all my friends I don't see them wanting to post anyway. Unity was the only one I could think of who would enjoy it.

The internet is different now...some people get it and some people don't. My cousin Steve just married someone he met on the internet. So yeah, I'd tell my friends about this place but I don't think you'll see any of them sign up.
Thanks, buddy!

Yeah I wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for Millz. It's cool having him as a RL friend because we can talk about how crazy you all are... :lol: J/k.

I'm actually a lot like him on this one...I've told a friend about the site, he registered, and that was the end of it. He and most of my other RL friends are busy with work and significant others, and I know them well enough to know that they wouldn't get involved on the site. I wouldn't mind it, but it's fine this way.

It is cool, as Stevez said, having the site as a sort of escape. I always refer to you guys as my "GF familia," and I don't know if the community would feel the same to me if it was full of people I already knew. It's different in Millz' case because he brought me here, so we've both been here for a good amount of time. He's been here since the beginning, so it's not like his presence changes the site.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Thanks, buddy!

Yeah I wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for Millz. It's cool having him as a RL friend because we can talk about how crazy you all are... :lol: J/k.

I'm actually a lot like him on this one...I've told a friend about the site, he registered, and that was the end of it. He and most of my other RL friends are busy with work and significant others, and I know them well enough to know that they wouldn't get involved on the site. I wouldn't mind it, but it's fine this way.

It is cool, as Stevez said, having the site as a sort of escape. I always refer to you guys as my "GF familia," and I don't know if the community would feel the same to me if it was full of people I already knew. It's different in Millz' case because he brought me here, so we've both been here for a good amount of time. He's been here since the beginning, so it's not like his presence changes the site.
Are you implying that those who are here are not busy in their RL, that they do nothing outside this forum and they don't have a life outside?
If you had a SO wouldn't you be here anymore?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have a life outside GF and a boyfriend. I just make time for GF.

To answer the OP, I don't consider my friends here as fake. Just because I can't see them in person doesn't mean they don't mean anything to me. A lot of people here are closer to me than some of my friends I see in person.
There's nobody other than my boyfriend that I'd invite here because I don't think they'd like it. I am not embarrassed or feel it's a private place but I just know they wouldn't fit in here.