How do you decide?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

How do you decide to join a certain forum?

Do you browse around and look at a few before joining?

Do you tell yourself I am going to give it a two week trial, if I don't like it I'll go somewhere else?

Does the amount of members and post have an effect on you?

Does the look of the forums have an effect on you?

Does the level of discussions make any difference to you?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I created one of my forums. For the others I've joined, there's one that I found using google when I was looking for a support group. The rest, I've joined because a friend asked me to check it out.

Some forums don't allow you to browse unless you're a registered member. I did check GF a bit before signing in although I knew I'd eventually register anyway because Jeanie was persuasive.

If I didn't like it, I could just be inactive.

What has more effect on me is having a big number of people online when I'm on. In my other forum where I was a member for years, there were only a few of us from Europe and our daytime posting can get boring sometimes.

Navigation ease is more important than the look (colors and stuff) itself .

Yes. And topics too. The main thing sold to me by Jeanie when she was recruiting me was that this forum has a good MD section. My other forum just closed down their Political Discussion subforum. If MD didn't exist, I'm not sure this site would have been as interesting to me.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I join forums based on my interests. The first one I joined was a Perfect Dark forum since that was the game I was into at the time. A few people from there were also members here (most notably Steve), so I joined GF. Also, I've been a member at a college football forum and a hiking forum. I joined since those are two of my favorite hobbies.

I usually lurk for at least a few days before joining, or I'll join but not post for a few days.

Do you tell yourself I am going to give it a two week trial, if I don't like it I'll go somewhere else?

No, not really. If I don't like it I can leave whenever I want. I don't necessarily give it a certain amount of time before making a decision.

Yes. If a forum is too inactive or has way too many members then I probably won't stick around.

To a certain extent, yes. I like things to look organized and be easy to navigate. If there's a bunch of flashy stuff, like everybody has colored text and animated avatars and huge sigs, then I'll probably leave.

Yes, I do like intelligent discussion, so a forum with nothing but Sub-Talk stuff isn't for me. Also, I prefer objective opinions, which is why I'll never post on any team forums. They're always full of biased bandwagon fans who think their team can do no wrong.

4. Vallentina

Vallentina Registered Member

Depends on my interest at the moment I guess or if I hear about it from someone who is already a member.

Yeah, if I can. Like ysabel said, some won't allow you to browse unless registered and if that's the case I won't sign up. It's BS if I can't look through the forum to get a feel of it before joining.

Not usually. If something goes wrong or I feel the forum isn't as interesting as thought in the beginning, I'll just stop going.

No, not really. I've seen a few forums that were just starting out so size doesn't matter. :p

Absolutely. Once I came across a forum that looked like an f'in rainbow. It was really hard on the eye and the admin wouldn't change it or offer different color skins.

Oh yeah. It's nice to have a variety instead of everything based around one topic. That's why I joined GF in the first place.

5. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

The first time my friend urged me to join one, alot of users were active everyday, so it wouldn't be dead beat. Forums that catch my interest, online users and simple yet creative layout will get my vote.

6. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I like an active forum, but the way the site is set up has a lot to do with it. If I have time, I'll join and just screw around. I'll see how everything is first hand to see if I want to stay. To make me join is no problem.

7. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

Depends on what my interest at the time

Absolutely

No either I like it shortly after I browse or I don't

Depends on the numbers, if the member and /or post count is under 50 then I usually stay away

Without a doubt and it has to be user friendly as well

Sometimes

8. Dolphino

Dolphino Registered Member

I totally agree. The amount of active members and post time is what is essential to me.

9. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I look at the variety of the boards they have, and if those boards interest me, I join. I mostly look for General Talk & Sports section such as AFL, Cricket & Soccer

I tend to read some posts to see what the members are like, especially in the sports section. To see if they actually know about something because if they don't I'd rather same my time and find a different forum than argue with keyboard warriors of which team is better.

If I do join, I browse around for a bit, post a introduction thread, post couple of more posts, see if I like the members' response, I post elsewhere and get to know the members better and eventually I stick around.

I like active forums, because I'd rather post a thread and have it replied to instantly and get more replies as the days go by, rather than posting a thread, 3 months later someone replies. As I said, I like active forums, not ghost towns.

Yes, I like forums that have proper spelling in the boards, not something like "make a introdaction, we dont bite" It just looks so unprofessional and tends to scare the guests away.

Not really, if I don't have anything to add into that specific thread, I keep my way out of that section.

10. Henskie

Henskie The Super Pimp of GF

I look at what the forum is discussing and then the activity level and then I look at if there are any interesting conversations that I want to jump into and I will hang out and if I become engrossed I will become a frequent poster other wise I disappear