• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you decide what to listen to?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Say you're in the mood to listen to some music, do you instantly know what you're in the mood for or do you have to look through all your music for the right tune?
I listen to my iPod every single day and I usually put it on shuffle and skip through everything until something screams at me to be played. I love music but I am one of those people that will listen to the same song over and over until I eventually kill it. I have to force myself to use shuffle because of that.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
Haha I was thinking about this earlier because, like you, I'm a skipper!

However, when I run/exercise/concentrate on work I can put my ipod on shuffle and enjoy everything it plays.

I have certain playlists for my moods though...like if I need to cry I have my sad songs from musicals (featuring other sad songs list) : Send in the clowns/As Long As You're Mine etc

Or If I need to bounce around I have my: Jump for Joy Playlist! Featuring such awesomeness as Jump, Bust A Move, Sonne, Had Enough etc

So pretty much gauranteed I can have a something I'm loving :)

Impact

V.I.P.
I generally know exactly what i'm in the mood for, so i'll go straight to that. A lot of the time, one song I listen to triggers an entire list of songs that have to be listened to in a certain order. If i'm not sure what I'm in the mood for then I use Shuffle or hop onto youtube and find a playlist of a band I like which is usually contains a mix of songs I like, and ones I haven't heard. Music has been a huge part of my life lately, so i'm constantly looking for new stuff, and as a result have about 15gb of music (not nearly enough for the bands I listen to) so it would take me forever to go through my music to find the right band to listen to. I'd get stuck in just the 'a' section if I did that

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm a song skipper lol. I put all my music into one giant playlist and put it on shuffle. And then if a song comes up I like, I let it play, otherwise I press skip. Generally I listen to the first minute of a song only. A ton of songs, I let play through the first set of verses to the chorus, and after the chorus I skip to the next. I rarely listen to whole songs lol. I hate repetition, so if I listen to a song, and another song by the same band comes up next, I skip it haha. If I'm really busy and not really listening, then my ipod just plays through the shuffle.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
It usually depends on what I like at the moment. I'll hear stuff from movies, youtube, or the radio and i'll go download it. Usually I'll have maybe 5 or 6 songs I'll be into at the time.

I compiled a list of around 20 songs that I never get sick of no matter how many times I listen to it, leave it alone and come back. It's something nice to fall back on when there's nothing that's currently worth overplaying. haha

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I'm quite obsessive so I go through phases where I will only listen to one band/DJ or genre. I'll listen non-stop for a week or so then move on. Some bands I like I'll visit more often.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When I'm in the mood for music, I know instantly what I want to listen to. It's like craving for food and knowing exactly what you want to eat.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Same as Kibi. It's gotta fit my mood. My media player has genre lists and I use them for moods instead. :D If I needa chill I'll do pop punk or techno. If I'm reading or doing homework it's always pop or gutter punk. If i'm sad I usually listen to chunes like Boy In Static "Where it ends" or Linkin Park or whatever. But if i'm hyper (normal for me) it's gotta be alternative rock, metal, or screamo. I just memorize what genres I use for each mood on my media player. But mostly I just always know what I needa hear.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I go through phases where I'll listen to the same one or two bands almost exclusively until I get tired of them and move onto something else. It's usually cyclical, so I'll end up going back to old stuff eventually. Like Pink Floyd I haven't listened to in a long while, but I know I'll get back into them at some point.

I never really skip songs. I'll pick an album and let it play straight through, the way the album was meant to be listened to. Usually the type of music I listen to, the songs flow into each other.

Dabs

Registered Member
It depends on my mood and what I happen to be doing.
If I am cleaning, I tend to want to listen to something upbeat and lively, such as Nickelback or Daughtry, and I am a big 80s music fan.
I still listen to bands like ToTo, Foreignor, Def Lepperd, Duran Duran...but my taste in music ranges to some of today's weird stuff, like Adam Lambert.
Then if I am in a sentimental melancholy mood, I tend to listen to something country.