• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How do you believe in a higher power?

whiteraven

Registered Member
The main reason I ask this, is because many people believe differently. Not one of us is the same. So, how do you believe in a higher power?
Is it real to you? Is it something that you were told to believe in?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I was raised Christian. There are parts of me deep down that will probably never be able to shake it but other than that, I'm apathetic. I've decided that there's a good chance I'll be word food and that's it but I do believe that there is something else to the world that we cannot see or understand until we get there.

I'm just not about to force that on other people or preach it in school. It's my beliefs and thus do not belong to other people, meaning I keep it to myself.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm much like Merc in this regard, although I wasn't raised a Christian (I became one later on in life). I have never been able to shake this nagging feeling that there is Something greater than me, Something that I very much pale into insignificance to. If that Something chooses to acknowledge my existence (which it is in no way required to), then great. If it doesn't, then I don't know what the hell is the point of me. So, I live. That's what I want to do, and continue to try to do. Sometimes that's enough.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I was raised a Christian, but I do not like going to church or being told how to decipher a passage. I don't want to be told what to do in life and go by 'God's plan.' That's why I don't go to church. But I do believe in God and in Jesus and I have my reasons for that but I do not practice any religion. God gave us freewill, so I don't need a preacher to tell me how I should live my life. But I do see why some need the guidance and that is one positive about churches.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was raised a catholic, but like GB, I do not go to Church. I do believe in God, I pray at times, and I do believe there's an afterlife. I have no clue what that is, and I'm not going to push it on anyone, just like Merc, I keep these type of things to myself. So, yes, I do believe in higher power.

fleamailman

Registered Member
("...I don't believe in god, because I know god, but I don't know what I know, and yet I know it all the same..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...look, no one goes around saying that they believe in death, though they know death, but they don't know what they know, and yet they know it all the same, same difference...", just that the goblin was gnostic, continuing "...so when people replace knowledge with belief, it just states that they are fobbing their homework for an excuse here..." adding "...and how organized religion tricks you into those externals each time, when all along it is just you alone with this infinite internal that touches you now...")

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
("...I don't believe in god, because I know god, but I don't know what I know, and yet I know it all the same..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...look, no one goes around saying that they believe in death, though they know death, but they don't know what they know, and yet they know it all the same, same difference...", just that the goblin was gnostic, continuing "...so when people replace knowledge with belief, it just states that they are fobbing their homework for an excuse here..." adding "...and how organized religion tricks you into those externals each time, when all along it is just you alone with this infinite internal that touches you now...")
I disagree with you, while it's impossible for me to prove to you God exists, if I say he does that can be much more than just some random belief but it can be something gained from knowledge. I have no idea what you mean about organized religion tricking anyone, but it seems fairly broad and not specific at all from this vantage point.

I was raised a Catholic and grew up in the Catholic Church. I was an alter boy until I graduated from high school and participated in Church. At some point while in college I strayed from the Church and basically stopped believing in God. Then at some point some things happened to me that convinced me that God does exist and I came back to the Church.

Incorporeal

Registered Member
I must admit, that this thread contains some really beautiful testimonies. I say beautiful as I perceive them as being spoken in truth.

As for me, I absolutely believe in the existence of God and as another poster stated, I also know God, but in my instance, I realize God. I allow God to work in my life daily and from that working, I seen the enormous benefits that are available to those that allow God to work in their lives. What I mean by that is that when a problem comes up that has the appearance of being overpowering, I turn to God and say " God ahead Father and show me how to overcome this problem or you do the job yourself."

I was raised as a Baptist, but over the years, slipped away from the church, and ventured other studies, that led me right back to the church. Even then, I found that the churches had abandoned their first estate and had become harlots by accepting another master. 501c3 tax exemption. Means that the churches now have to serve the best interest of the State as opposed to the best interest of God.

So, here I sit, outside the church, but still communing with God on a daily basis and loving every minute of that venture.

viLky

ykLiv
Hope, for me. I suppose I was an idealist Christian expecting a god to save us from all the horrors of this planet. While it seemed it was working, it only appeared that way because I was surrounding myself with like-minded people with positive attitudes. I stopped adventuring in the "dark" and avoided seeing negative images of the world. Even with that comfort it didn't sit well with me, I felt like I was lying to myself and doing a disservice.

I then went down the chain of Theist, Agnostic, Atheist, Agnostic and finally settled on Agnostic-Atheist (at least for now). Once I became an Agnostic the first time I felt liberated not being held down by a religion and the fear of a god. However, this whole paragraph has nothing to do with the topic, so I'll stop. =D

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't believe in a higher power at all. Unless you could count nature and our natural environment as such a power. But as for a higher being or a type of 'God' then I have never felt the need or seen the sense in believing in one. I wasn't raised in any particular way at home, but I did go to a Christian school where I studied the Bible and went to chapel etc. Even after that I felt no need to actively be religious. I am content being atheist.