How do the liberals or Democrats on this board view oil prices?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

$200/b oil equates to close to $7 gallon gas plus a nightmare situation for home heating use.

Just wondering what the typical democrat response it because I don't see any real response on the national level. Obama stated that there is nothing wrong with $4 gas he just wishes it would have gone up slower. Thomas Freedman suggested placed a min. price on gas at $4 so it falls below a tax would kick in. Democrats in Congress are still opposed to increased drilling and use of shale, clean coal, etc..

Anyway, I am just curious about the common democrat's ideas because it seems to me the leadership is way out of touch. Not that the Republicans are much better. I've seen nothing but lip service out of Bush and the Republicans in Congress. "We would act if the democrats would" is a horrible excuse. I would be happy with nothing less than a few Senators walking through the floor with baseball bats demanding some sort of action.

2. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I think that the first Candidate to come out and have a good plan to solve the oil crisis will win the election. Except I doubt that either of them will do it.

dDave likes this.
  3. MenInTights

If Obama came out with a No Excuses - Energy Independant by 8 Years Plan - I would seriously consider looking past his pro-abortion stance. I think its that important. McCain came out with a independant by 2025 plan, but there is no specifics so I figure its about as good as Bush's balanced budget by 2012 plan.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe someone will come out with a real plan.

4. ComicFitz

ComicFitz Registered Member

Just to let you know, gas is one of the biggest deals for most Americans, so both will have a "plan to lower prices" <----that's they will say.

And I'm just guessing, but I bet democrats will be against higher prices

BTW men in tights, bush is anti-abortion and the USA is still pro choice, USA will always be a pro choice country, most people here believe in pro choice, so you don't have to worry about that anymore

5. MenInTights

really?

from wikipedia:

33% permitted only with rape, incest or mother's life
    +17% permitted to save mother's life
    +5% never premitted
    ----
    55% permitted not at all or in rare circumstances

55% permitted not at all or in rare circumstances
    +15% permitted with greater restrictions
    -----
    70% permitted in rare circumstances or with greater restrictions

Abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  6. ComicFitz

ComicFitz Registered Member

Just to let you know I'm not arguing with you, it sound like that made you a little upset. It's just what I've noticed.
    I just hope there is not a compromise like rape or incest, but I wouldn't mind to save a mothers life.

7. MenInTights

Not arguing either. I can never figure out how to portray emotions on boards so a lot of times things come over with a different attitude than was entended. It is amazing that the attitudes are so different between people in red states and blue states. I almost never bump into someone who is pro-abortion and I assume you have the opposite experience. I used to think that was a bad thing, but anymore, not so much. As long as it doesn't cause racism, like-minded people will be happier and more productive together, imo.

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

You know, I remember talking to a fella a few years back. I told him I'd invest in oil if I had the money to blow, and he said I was crazy, and that the price of oil will never raise faster than inflation, and there's an infinite amount of the stuff anyways (right right?), so no worries. Well I was right, goddammit. I was right, and he was wrong, and we should have all invested in alternative energy way back when, and blah blah blah.

Oh well. What can you do? Liberals had plenty of ideas of how to preempt just such an event if measures were enacted prior to it happening, but the price of oil could never rise, humph humph humph.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  9. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

Actually, it works both ways, conservatives also wanted to drill, but libs wouldn't let them.

dDave likes this.
  10. Elf1

Elf1 Registered Member

What a democrat thinks about oil prices...

1. Blame oil companies. Failing to understand that the oil company profits are pretty stable at 9% profit margin, and much lower than businesses like tech and drug companies. Also failing to understand that big profits get passed onto all those who were smart enough to buy stock. Part of blame game.

2. Blame speculators. See #1. Part of blame game.

3. Give excuses on how drilling won't save $$$ or reduce cost per gallon. Part of "don't blame me" game.

***All of this is just 1 part of the problem. If there was more oil, there would be problems with refinery capacity. Haven't built a new refinery in something like 30 years. And the refineries that we have...are outdated. Every time oil companies try to improve them, fix them, etc., a new federal lawsuit is filed against them prohibiting them from doing anything.