• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

How Do I Handle an Undesirable Sibling?

Sophia

Registered Member
I have one brother and sometimes wish I didn't. He has never done anything in his life that did not benefit himself in some way. He's gotten so good at this that it's hard to distinguish at times but it always comes back being to his benefit. We are having to keep in contact and work with each other now because of our elderly mother but I just hate it. The latest thing he has done is "lost" a large sum of money that was to go to our mom. I just don't understand these kinds of people. Do you?

Impaired

Registered Member
My older brother is also a user. All he cares about it what he can get from you. He is selfish, cruel and frankly, an asshole.

I am so thankful he moved 3000 miles away. Last time we spoke, he said, "I hid some things in your house, mail them to me." When I got upset that he hid things in my house, he called me a c*nt and hung up on me. I have happily stopped taking his calls.

I don't need that in my life. He might be blood but he chooses to be a person I want to have nothing to do with.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lost a large sum of money, bet he spent it. Unfortunately there are people out there like that and some of us are unlucky enough to be related to them. About the only thing you can do is not have anything to do with them or as little as possible.

I use to talk to someone that had their sister really screw him over. He was sending her his part of the money to pay taxes on their parents house but she was spending the money. The house was sold for back taxes.

Godsmirror

Registered Member
There comes a point in everyone's life where they need to stop saying "My sibling this or......my sibling that, and start looking at them as people. Meaning, if you weren't related to this person, would you like them? Are they the kind of person you would want to be friends with? If not, don't deal with them. Major holidays aside, there is no rule that says you are obligated to associate with family members if they are not the type of PEOPLE that you get along with.

Sophia

Registered Member
My older brother is also a user. All he cares about it what he can get from you. He is selfish, cruel and frankly, an asshole.

I am so thankful he moved 3000 miles away. Last time we spoke, he said, "I hid some things in your house, mail them to me." When I got upset that he hid things in my house, he called me a c*nt and hung up on me. I have happily stopped taking his calls.

I don't need that in my life. He might be blood but he chooses to be a person I want to have nothing to do with.
That's bad impaired. Did you ever find what he hid in your house? I hope you threw it away whatever it is. I sometimes wonder if either me or my brother were adopted. We don't seem to come from the same parents. Do you wonder that too?

Impaired

Registered Member
That's bad impaired. Did you ever find what he hid in your house? I hope you threw it away whatever it is. I sometimes wonder if either me or my brother were adopted. We don't seem to come from the same parents. Do you wonder that too?
Sadly we have enough similar features that we are related.

I found the leather pouch with his social security card and such hidden in my shed, two coats in the back of a closet - I have no idea what else he his and worse, no idea when he had time alone in my house to hide things.

Sophia

Registered Member
I found the leather pouch with his social security card and such hidden in my shed, two coats in the back of a closet - I have no idea what else he his and worse, no idea when he had time alone in my house to hide things.
Maybe you should consider changing the locks on your house in case you haven't already. If it was important enough for him to ask for, he may be back. And it's just sad that you have to keep your brother locked out. I do understand though.