How did your country do

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Major, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Grade the success your country had at the 2010 Olympics. Are you happy or disappointed with how your country performed?

I give the United States an A+. We aren't really known as a winter sports superpower, but we hauled in 37 medals which is the most for any country in Winter Olympics history, and 12 more than we won in Torino. Our hockey team exceeded expectations and was a sudden death overtime away from the gold medal. Our stars (Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn, Bode Miller, and Shani Davis) won gold medals. And we won gold medals in sports we normally aren't competitive in (bobsled and nordic combined). Easily our most successful Winter Olympics ever.

Biggest failure at these Olympics has to be Russia. Not only was their hockey team a huge disappointment, but their goal was to bring home 40 medals. They only won 15. Not exactly how you build momentum for the 2014 games on home soil.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah you can't be disappointed in the US. The hockey game was heartbreaking, but it couldn't have been a better game.

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I said at the beginning of the olympics I would be glad with top-10 position. We finished 10th, with 4 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze. Mission accomplished :cool:

Of course Kramer sucked.. he only got 1 gold (pff hehe), but I was counting on 3 myself. Nevertheless, 3 other gold medals were scored that I hadn't counted on, so it balances out nicely. I'm satisfied :)

Russia is definitely a big fail. But some other countries didn't do so well either.. Italy 1 gold, Japan and Finland not even a single one. That must suck for them :stare:

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

No medals for Ireland! Not surprised, i didn't even know we had a team going over for it :p We had athletes competing in 4 events:

Bobsleigh = 17th
    Skeleton = 25th
    Alpine Skiing = 45th
    Cross Country Skiing = 91st

Pretty good performance in the bobsleigh! I think we need to practise our cross country skiing a little though!! :p

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I give Canada an A, we broke the record for most Gold Medals in the winter Olympics. A couple of days a go I was pissed on our medal counts, but I am happy now. The girls won most our medals, but we still had a good showing.

But all and all, we won the most important medal and that's the gold in the men's hockey tournament.

6. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

Why the "but we still had a good showing"? What's wrong with the women winning most of them?

As far as USA - I am really happy. As mentioned in the OP, a lot of our athletes won gold, and we got the most medals of all. :)

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Because of a lot of our male athlete's were favorite to win some events, especially in skiing, but they didn't perform as well as they should. Sorry for the confusion, I should of added the Male's still had a good showing.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The Canadian men won plenty of medals. Gold in hockey and curling. Gold in Parallel Giant Slalom. Gold in speed skating team pursuit. Gold in moguls. The short track team won a bunch of medals.

9. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

Oh ok. :) Thanks for clearing it up.

10. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Echoes in the first week of the Olympics we had so many male atheletes favored to win in all kind of events and they didn't perform to expectations. As for the Olympic Grade for the Canadian team I have to give them an A+. We didn't win the most medals but we won the most important ones. Winning 14 gold medals is a record and more of home soil as well. Plus winning the men's hockey gold was huge for our country.