How did you become a great drawer?

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Johnxz, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Johnxz

Johnxz New Member

Did you have a knack for it and could draw easily or did you progressively learn to draw?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think the strategy is just to work at it until you are happy with the results. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Not everybody will look at your art and say it's great while not everybody will look at it and say it's horrible (in a perfect world at least.. :lol:).

Practice, practice, practice, and when you are sick and tired of practicing, practice some more. A true artist never arrives.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm not a great drawer by any stretch of the imagination, but some people just have a natural ability for it. I love drawing and was always pretty good when I was younger, but then I just completely stopped and now I can only copy stuff. Practice is definately the way to go though, and trying out different styles and techniques to see what works best for you. Personally I love drawing in pen, and hate charcoal.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Practice, lots and lots of practice.

I've never liked when I hear people say "I was born with this talent". Because then it seems like its some sort of grand selection type that only certain people are meant to enjoy things like illustrating. With me, there are definitely people that were always better than me, but regardless of that I always practiced and worked on my flaws and eventually got just as good or better than those competitors in my art classes.

5. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I agree with Hybrix, art is something that progresses all the time. I have never finished a picture that I have been really happy with.

Practice will ensure that you keep or improve upon the skills you already have.
    I had a knack for sketching but because of other things going on in life I stopped drawing for years and only began again a short while ago, I noticed that things I would have thought of as easy before were now harder to get right.

Practice will help without a doubt, constant doodling will also help.
    I would by no stretch of the imagination call myself an artist, I doodle for the fun it gives me.

6. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

I don't know. I love to draw. I don't think I'm amazing. I mean some people like my stuff, others think it's terrible. When I started to learn to draw, though I was little. VERY little. I used to take a piece of paper and lean on a book and look at a coloring book and try to draw exactly what I saw in the coloring book (the lines). I learned to copy the different lines... When I finally mastered that and had an almost exact copy (ofcourse I was older at that point), I started learning to draw up my ideas. I would make up the drawings in my head like in a dream, and then just reproduce what I saw in my mind's eye type deal... That's pretty much it.

I mean, it sounds simple enough... but it's not. lol

7. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

Like it or not there are people that are born with a natural aptitude for certain talents and gifts. Take my sister for instance. Taught herself how to play both piano and guitar when she was a kid. Never took a formal lesson in her life until she was older.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm not good at it, for my level (I draw well for kids, haha). I've been told practice is the way to go. Sometimes I practice a lot and I don't notice anything different. Anyway, I just gotta trust what the more experts on the field say.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Im one of those, I have always been good at drawing. Not wanting to be to arrogant, popmpous and obtruse .....meh I will...... its fair to say Im damn great at drawing as well. To me I see no problem in putting a visual representation onto paper, I dont fully understand how one can not translate what we see in the world around us, interpret it and then copy it. I guess it is just one of those things.

It has often been said the talent I have goes to waste as I rarely draw or take it seriously. I keep meaning to do more but itis a long way downmy list of priorities.

It is a bit of both really. I feel the ability to draw comes from the ability to translate the visions we see. A good understanding of how light works, perspective and proprtions. These are not common identifiers and where children often go wrong, they draw what they think they see and never what they actually see. I think thats the talent being able to understand that we dont actually see objects only the light that reflects off them.

I think there are many ways to practice these techniques. To understand light you draw a circle, then you draw another. The second one you then apply shade to until it becomes a sphere. You repeat this process only ever drawing the exact same circle but always applying different shade, shadow and texture. It always amazes me the amount of variations that you can accomplish from one simple shape.

To practice persepective you learn how to use the vanishing point and horizon.

Proportions are easy on people, we are all uniform. Ears equal length of nose, eyes are halfway down the head, mouth is approxiamate the pupils etc...

10. Jindrax

Jindrax Registered Member

basicly draw as much as you can... thats what i tend to do. On most of my school things you can see little wizzards or a sword or whatever just doodle and sketch when you dont know what to do if you keep doing that everyday you'll improve faster and faster. And if you cant doodle because you dont know what to draw copy things and eventualy you'll get an idea of what you like drawing etc wether its shapes or scenery's or just a dude without background it doesnt realy matter as long as you're drawing.