How can I prove it.

wolfheart

Registered Member
My eldest daughter woke up monday to find the cat asleep on her bed, she went to move him and startled him, his reaction was to try to climb her arm leaving four shallow very disticnt scratches down her arm, not a real big deal.

However today she was pulled from class by her deputy head and a school nurse and asked what had happened she told them and they in turn interrogated her about self harming, claiming that if it was indeed a cat that had done it must be a very large one.

My question is this how can we as parents prove that it was a simple case of the cat lashing out and not my daughter cutting herself, if they already have it in there head she is self harming.

I am totaly bemussed by it to be honest.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
They sound like morons if they mistake a cat scratch for self-harming. Not sure there's much you can do except let them wait it out and see that there are no more "incidents".

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
it is strikingly disappointing that we're so plagued with "cutters" that even honest accidents are now questioned and made to look like catastrophic events such as this.

Is there any other reason the Nurse may have assumed your daughter was suicidal? I ask because maybe there is some way to show that she is happy to be alive, excited about whats going on with her life and all that. Where as it might be a little more difficult if your daughter is naturally a dark recluse that would fit the profile of the so accused.

It is foreign for me, but I have to say the only thing that would make sense to me is to just be as honest and stern on your stance as possible. I dont want to say "it doesnt matter" what those Head Nurses and Faculty think, because I know here they have more power than they ever should and could really start putting parents in tight spots if they wanted to be assholes about it. And thats why I would have to say you just have to be as honest and stern as possible. Other than that I dont think there is a single way to "prove" it was a cat scratch. At least that I'm aware of.

it is strikingly disappointing that we're so plagued with "cutters" that even honest accidents are now questioned and made to look like catastrophic events such as this.
Yeah, it's good that they care, but also very sad that they need to care in the first place.

And I also think that there is no way you can prove it, as such. You'll just have to hold your stance and hope they don't take further action. Don't try too hard to convince them though, I think that should be up to your daughter.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
They should take the parents' word for it. You seem like a responsible parent. Usually a direct statement from the parents should be enough.

They should take the parents' word for it. You seem like a responsible parent. Usually a direct statement from the parents should be enough.
I disagree, and I don't necesasrily think this is the case with wolfy, but often times parents don't know. Trusting that a parent knows everything going on with their child is a big mistake in my opinion.

Anyway, there's not much you can do. You could bring the cat in the school :p This will work it's self out soon enough.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Ice, i agree that they have more power than they should and could make life a little diffecult if they so wanted.
My daughter is a bright bubbly outgoing kind of girl with no past history of anything even remotely close to what they have said.

I cannot for the life of me find a reason as to why the nurse thought that she had done this.
What does me is that if you have ever spent any kind of time around cat you have more than likely seen a cat scratch, possibly been caught by one them yourself, and my experiance they do not look like you have done them yourself.

I honestly dont know why they have jumped to this conclusion but I will hold to what happened as it is the truth.

What worries me is one phone call from the school to certain places could cause all sort of shit over a bloody cat scratch.

Can't a quick trip to the doctor settle the cause of the scratch? Aren't they trained to recognize these things?
Yes, it would be a ridiculous inconvenience for you, but sometimes nipping a potential problem in the bud is worth the time and effort you may have to put into it.
On a side note, it does sound as though the school is being a little over the top about this.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
There is a huge difference between a cat scratch and cuts.

This is the kind of PC crap that pisses me off. I'd tell the school it's not cuts, its a cat scrath and to piss off. They have no authority to question you like that as a parent. You don't need to prove anything to them. Thats just my 2 cents tho. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
I dont feel you have to prove anything. Tell it how it is and it is upto them to believe you or not. Its the schools duty to be vigilante and for you to say "thanks but its okay in this scenario" anymore and they may speculate you are trying to cover something up.

This story reminds me of the my own childhood; I was cycling a track and over did a corner grazing a hawthorn bush and lacerating my arm with horizontal lines. My parents thought I had done it with a knife as part of a gang initiation. :confused: