How bad is it to do weights every-day?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I know we should do weights every other day, as opposed to every day, lest our mussels deteriorate... but how bad is it, or is this just a myth?

I know with health, what's healthy one day is bad for you the next, and what's bad for you turns-out to be good for you.

In short, is this idea backed-up?

It's just that I am bordering on being a Gym addict, and I find it hard to go there and resist doing weights.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

If you don't give your muscles time to recover, you can damage them, plain and simple. No myths here. If you have an adequate workout that is. If you aren't even lightly sore after lifting you probably won't need to wait and you probably aren't strengthening your muscles either.

3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I lift every other day, if you're getting a legitimate (or hard) lift in then there's no way you'd be able to do it every day, every other day is the minimum.

You can do serious damage to your muscles if you never let them recover, plus you won't get stronger doing it that way anyway.

4. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

I know you can mess up your muscles pretty bad if you lift weights every day...its also not to good for your heart apparently. I know someone who did too much weight lifting and how can't play contact sports at all because of it.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well technically(well I do) you lift weights every time you work out. You lift weights when you work out your back/chest/arms/legs etc. But it's on different days.

6. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I mean if you wanted to lift weights every day or work out every day, just make sure its a different section of your body every day. Like cons said, working out constantly will not give ample time for muscle relaxation.

~Shwa

7. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

OK most people in this thread fail to note.

You can lift everyday. You just have to make sure you do different muscle groups. I lift 5-6 days a week for years. And I got on this program recommended by several people who lift, personal trainers, and individuals who majored in fitness.

You just have to make sure you rest you muscles. And to be safe I rest my muscles 48 hrs.

Example of my Routine:

Mon: Chest/Triceps
    Tues: Biceps/Back
    Wed: Shoulders
    Thur: Chest/Triceps
    Fri: Biceps/Back
    Sat: Shoulders

I avoid skipping Mon and Thurs since those are my heaviest routines. But I usually skip a day a week. Usually its Friday or Sat.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Babe_Ruth likes this.
  8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Did you read my reply Swift that's what I said pretty much you just gave a more detailed reply with your routine.

Swiftstrike likes this.
  9. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Thanks everyone for the tips... ... ... It's kind of obvious, yet [being relatively new to gym training] I never even thought of alternate days for alternate mussels.
    I'm surprised this was not suggested to me in my [very long] induction.

Borderline 'off topic' I can't/shouldn't lift weights high above my head as I have high-blood-pressure [symptom of kidney disease,] but that does really affect me at this gym anyway.

10. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

That eliminates a lot...So does that mean no weight can be above your head?

That is No Bench press, shoulder press, skull crushers, and any routine you are on your back with free weights.