how anal retentive are you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wrecked, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

how anal retentive are you? anyone have a bad case of OCD?

i don't think i'm that anal. i just like to keep my stuff nice and clean. i also like to keep the things together that i bought that were together [ ie console boxes, instructions, etc ]. but i throw away the inserts [ magazine ads or what have you ]. and i don't mind taking out the UPC or whatever from the package/manual for a rebate/etc. i'd rather not do it, but if it's for something good i'll do it.

2. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

anal retentive? god what an ugly phrase. If I ever get famous and end up on "Inside the Actor's Studio" on Bravo, and they ask me what my least favorite word is, I've now got it. "Anal Retentive" :lol:

I'm a somewhat messy person, but I still like things neat when given an equal choice to keep them messy or neat. I will only put an effort in to cleaning things (A) when I have the time and notice it, or (B) when it gets too messy to be comfortable. I like comfort. Sometimes it's comfortable to leave the mess, other times its comfortable to have the place clean. I balance between the two. Frankly, I despise people who are at either of the two extremes, especially if I'm living with them. In college, I moved around a lot, and I once moved from a room with your typical fratboy/drunken/pothead types who left the common space horrendously messy all the time STRAIGHT INTO a place inhabited by rich republican assholes who were used to having a maid do all their cleaning and had to keep the place absolutely spotless at all times. I swear, I got into sooooo many fights with those dipshits, it was unbelievable. I didn't like either, but especially after living in a total pigsty, the problems that the neat people hounded me about just came across as so freaking ridiculous that I couldn't help but to put up a fight every time.

FYI - For any PDCers reading this, this was about the time I joined PDC. So hopefully you can see what state of mind I was in daily and understand why I might have come off extra belligerent as a result of it.

3. ltk9492

ltk9492 Registered Member

I am a messy persom, and like it messy. NOT ANAL DAMNIT.
    lol

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I like everything to be perfect. If something isn't neat and organized, it definitely bothers me a little. But usually I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I hard a hard time throwing magazines away that I subscribe to, even if I don't plan on reading them... What does that tell you? :D

Lets see, I keep boxes for everything I buy, and by keep, I mean mint condition. Why? Just in case I don't like it and have to return it. My only thing is I usually end up keeping it, and then I have the box forever because I never get around to tossing it. I keep some boxes automatically, just to keep, but others I keep only for possible returns. I could take half of this stuff back if I could only manage to duplicate that clear round sticker used to seal the boxes shut. :)

I recently went and threw out a lot of my old boxes because I don't care about some, like my processor box, sound card box, scanner box, case fan packaging... etc. I keep all my video card boxes though. ATI boxes are just too pretty to throw out. :)

I shutter when people want to borrow things, because while a small scratch might be ok with them, I can't stand it. One of my DVD cases has a small rip in the clear plastic sleeve outside of it.. It bugs me just to think about it.

Ok, yes I am. ;)

6. Wrecked

yeah i do that magazine and box thing too.

i tend not to toss my old magazines [ although i tossed almost all of them a few years back when i was cleaning up ].

and i tend to keep the boxes to things. not because i plan on keeping it, but because i like to have stuff in it's original package.

i used to keep all the boxes to my simpson figures, but it was taking so much room so i just kept the backboards and tossed the plastic. and i have a bunch of stikfa boxes in my room stacked against the wall.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Anal retentive people would make good toy collectors. They tend to cringe at even the smallest scratch.

This reminds me, when I bought my last video card, I pulled all of the boxes off the shelf (like 5) to get the one in the back because it didn't have a security device wired around the box, which caused a dent in the corner of each side. May as well get the one without the dents. :)

8. Wrecked

toy collectors are A holes!

if they find a rare toy on the shelf, and they don't need it, they damage the package on purpose. how eff'd up is that? that's like going to the grocery store and squeezing all the bread with all your might [ which is illegal btw ].

i'm not a toy collector, but there are a few toys out there that i like. right now i'm not collecting anything but i used to collect the simpsons. my brother collects the Justice League stuff and tells me all the time how he goes to the store, sees a character that's hard to find and how the package would be screwed up big time. he buys it anyways cause he opens his stuff.

but yeah, when it comes to buying things off shelves, i don't like to take the first one.

first off, lots of other people have most likely touched it [ not a huge germ freak, but a little cautious, mostly of the dirty people that have like greasy hands etc ]. i usually go for 3rd or further. or which ever has the nicest box.

9. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

nerds :mad: (and I usually never say the n-word ever, swear to God)

10. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi..Not to butrst your bubble but not all toy collectors are like that..
    Most of the damaged toys you see on the shelf are from poor stocking and parents who don't control their kids..You know the ones who let their kid carry the toy right up to the register and then don't buy it.
    Well guess where that toy goes?
    It goes into the shop back carts and the stuff just gets piled on top of it (the retail stores don't care abought the collecting value)..
    Any store that catches you damageing a package so noone can buy it will prossicute you for shop lifting or attempted shoplifting..
    And personaly if I see that I will turn the putz in..

BTW did you ever stop to think abought the kids who try to steal the toy and chiken out after they have it half open? No you haven't...
    I am so sick and tired of people blameing us for that. And people who say toy collectors are assholes or nerds..

Well most of the toys you collect or play with are thought up and made by the toy collectors..I know i'm one of them..
    I have been doing it for over 13 years..
    Before you jump you should go and see for yourself who really is doing the damage to the toys on the shelf...
    Now I'm not saying that there isn't (Toy Dealers ) who do that..But a collector will never damage the toy...

And to those who say toy collectors are nerds just rember that most the nerds you know will later on in life will be called Sir..Bill Gates, Todd Mc Farline, Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Lucas, Speilberg need I go on?

In short I don't think you have the right picture of what a true toy collector is..
    There is a big diffrence between Toy collecting and toy dealing...