• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hover Chair Says Whaa???

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
This is nutts.
www.engadget.com
“Hover chair” glides around your cubicle on a cushion of air >

Related entries: Household, Misc. Gadgets

hover chair

Isn’t this just always the case: you save up your hard-earned dough for months to buy the hottest gadget on the market, just to see it become instantly obsolete the next day when someone comes out with something way better. You’ll certainly feel our pain, then, when you hear that we finally made the move from a 10-year-old folding director’s chair to the rolling comfort of a pricey Aeron, when some know-it-all in Holland invents a hover chair that totally schools our new purchase. The oddly shaped, nameless chair is the brainchild of Dutch designer Marijn van der Poll, who wanted to create a proper throne for today’s high-tech CEO. Even though it weighs around 200 pounds, the hover chair can purportedly be moved with just a finger, thanks to built-in blowers that suspend it millimeters off of the ground. Follow the link to see a movie of this invention in action, where it is curiously being piloted by a very non-CEO-looking Napoleon Dynamite doppelganger.
Video here---> http://www.marijnvanderpoll.com/img/film/05

That is crazy....looks pretty fun too, but you would think people would have better things to spend money on.

Another pretty crazy item, now an inflatable ball allowing me to walk on water is something I would buy :)
http://www.thecoolhunter.net/lifestyle/nuclear-globe-for-the-beach.php
Balls on water vid---->http://mail.sportsstuff.com/newstuff/nuclearglobe/index.shtml#

That's awesome. The chair doesn't look too comfortable, but I'm sure it's fun. The walk-on-water spheres are sweet too, I'd like to have one of those.

One gadget I've always been fond of were the Lazer Trip Wires:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/78df/
I'm just dying to place my wallet in the middle of my room, surrounded by those. Of course, someone could easily grab it, but it'd be cool.

"Hey, try and grab my wallet!"
"OK."
*Wallet is grabbed*
"How did you bypass my security system?!"

Pianobone

Registered Member
It would be better if those lasers cut through people. :sick:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The cord on it makes spinning around a tangled mess.. I say make a power hub for it that you park the chair on to charge it up, then go wireless.

Really though, I wouldn't want one. If I sit in a chair, I don't like to hear the sound of a jet engine... Plus I like my chair to stay where it is when I sit on it.

I can duplicate that same effect with my office chair.. It has.. *wait for it* WHEELS! :D

I think Andrew's got a point. Is there any real purpose to this chair, other than to say "Oh, hoverchairs are real!"? It seems like it would be a terrible mess, really, and chairs with wheels are just fine for slidin' around.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
RossDude said:
I think Andrew's got a point. Is there any real purpose to this chair, other than to say "Oh, hoverchairs are real!"? It seems like it would be a terrible mess, really, and chairs with wheels are just fine for slidin' around.
Well.....The real advantage is that it is cool...other than that:shake: .

Speaking of security systems, I am on this car forum where I read about a guy who connected flamethrowers underneath his car and when someone tried to break in, it would scorch the shiza out of them. It was later illegalized.

Another cool device from breaking in was a guy who created a connection from the batter to metal bars underneath the door that when someone tried to open it without a key they got shocked to crap.

Pianobone

Registered Member
The hover chair is totally impractical. I've seen kids make similiar devices at Jr. High science fairs. Fortunately it doesn't look like those guys spent millions of dollars on their chair. If that were the case, I'd be mad that they didn't invent something cooler, like a teleporter.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Pianobone said:
The hover chair is totally impractical. I've seen kids make similiar devices at Jr. High science fairs. Fortunately it doesn't look like those guys spent millions of dollars on their chair. If that were the case, I'd be mad that they didn't invent something cooler, like a teleporter.
Who all here thinks that there will be a teleporter in the future?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't belive that it's possible due to the constraints of "space-time". I don't doubt that there will be something similar, or very close to it, though.