Houston Asstros fire Cecil Cooper

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ima little surprised they didnt wait until AFTER the season...why do this now when you're out of the race?

Source: rotoworld.com

The Astros have fired manager Cecil Cooper, according to MLB.com's Mike Siano.

Cooper's second season at the helm did not go well, as the team with a $103 million payroll languished near the bottom of the National League with a 70-79 record. Injuries certainly played a roll in the underachieving, as stars Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt battled maladies throughout the season. Oswalt was recently shut down for the remainder of the season. Cooper's final record in two-plus seasons (he managed the final 31 games in 2007 in relief of the fired Phil Garner) with the Astros is 171-170. Third base coach Dave Clark will take over on an interim basis for the remainder of the season.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah, I was surprised they didn't just wait until the end of the season. Injuries certainly played a part, but Cooper didn't seem to get the job done.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, I was surprised they didn't just wait until the end of the season. Injuries certainly played a part, but Cooper didn't seem to get the job done.
Timing was a little weird but it was inevitable he wasn't going to last.

If I were the Astros I would look at current Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo...unless Larussa retires then the Cards will probably keep him to coach.

Or what about Jeff Bagwell or Craig Biggio? That would be interesting...