• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Housemate - I know it's a bad idea...

justaguy

So a few months ago I moved into an apartment with 3 other housemates I hadn't met before. They are two other guys and one girl. Basically the girl and I kinda hit if off and have been hanging out a lot as friends - like going grocery shopping / carpooling occasionally / going to a few parties, etc.

But lately, I have been getting the feeling that we are starting to like each other a little more than 'normal friends' should - for instance going to coffee shops together and watching movies together in the evening. Here's the kicker last week she (casually) asked if I wanted to go iceskating. We ended up going, and since she is not the best skater I ended up holding her up a lot of the time and by the end I was holding her hand to steady her.

Neither of has made any kind of 'move' yet but I get the sense that if things continue on the current track it might be inevitable. The thing is she really is super cute and I probably would have tried to make a move on her already if I hadn't been painfully aware how bad of idea it generally is to date / hook up with a housemate (there really is only one thin wall separating our bedrooms!)...

What do you think I should do? It has been a few months since I moved in and we are pretty close friends already. We rarely see each other except on weekends since we both work kinda long / different hours. But during the week I find myself looking forward to the weekend so I can spend some more time with her. I am actually starting to find it hard to look at her without getting a little queasy tingle inside... I think you know what I'm talking about.

Please let me know if you have any advice!
thanks

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hey! Welcome to the site...

Personally I would go for it. I know there are risks involved with that. If it doesn't work out then how awkward will the living situation be. How will the other roommates react, etc.

I think that if you like her then you should give it a shot and see what happens. You'll be kicking yourself more if you realize down the road what a huge mistake it was to not take the chance. Sure, you could have regrets if you do it and it doesn't work out but I think I'd be more comfortable knowing that then not trying to see if the relationship can work.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think it's worth taking that shot, it really does sound like she's into you. You have to go with your heart; living arrangements are temporary but love is the real deal. I can see why you'd feel a little akward about the situation, but I think you'd have your other housemates' support if things really happen between you and this girl.

Good luck!

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Welcome to the jungle justaguy!

I would definetly go for it! What are YOU waiting for?!? Ya'll clearly have great chemistry together!!! JUST DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Mariselle

Registered Member
Speaking as a woman, I would say, "Go for it." Just do it.

sky1

Registered Member
go for it who knows what will happen ,life is to short be happy and if it dose not work out ,you had fun anyway

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Dude, make sure you've got a back up plan if things don't work out. Not to be a downer or anything, but I think this is one of those "don't shit where you eat" kind of deals. Living together could be one of the greatest things but it can also be one of the worst.

If you do make a move and you two do end up going out, just make sure you have something to fall back on in the case of things not working out. Just saying.

Of course everyone's gonna tell you to go for it. Hell, I would probably go for it if I were you even though my mind is like "wtf are you doing man? you know better than this" I'm just thinking of the possible outcomes and consequences of a relationship potentially failing because let's be honest, relationships aren't the easiest things to maintain.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way. I'm a romantic at heart, but sometimes you have to think of the "what ifs" of a relationship ending.