House Rules

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ysabel, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Ok, this is about your parents' rules. Which of their rules do/did you appreciate the most? Which ones you liked the least? If you didn't like the rules, did you still follow them?

-------------

I liked my mom's rule of not having curfew as long as I tell her where I am and who I am with, in case she wants to get in touch with me. I felt trusted.

I didn't like the rule of not inviting friends over at specific hours. I followed it of course, otherwise my mom might make a scene and it'll be embarrassing.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Yeah, same here. My parents never really minded where I was, just as long as I text them every now and again to let them know I was safe and where I was. I reeeally abused that rule though, more than a few times.

I hated the 'tidy bedroom' rule. My room was never much of a mess but it had to be absolutely spotless before I was allowed to do anything. I hate cleaning and always thought it was unfair because my friend's rooms.. well.. you could hardly see the floor.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I too didn't have a curfew. I was allowed to be anywhere until anytime I wanted so long as they knew where I was and that I called them if it was late. They also wanted to know someone would bring me home if it was late. They've always trusted me and known I was sensible.

I have to agree with Becca on cleaning my bedroom. My mum would be on my back all the time because I left stuff on the floor and she used to hate it. I would also get in trouble for leaving towels on the bathroom floor when I'd had a shower. I was a bit of a messy child!

4. Mason

Mason phawq

Back when I was in primary, Only rules we had were "go to bed no later than 9:30pm on weeknights (was 8:30pm when I was in year 3 and below), and no later than 10:30pm on weekends(was 9:30pm when I was in year 3 and below)"

Don't really have any house rules nowadays.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Now that you two mentioned it, my mom would also ask me to arrange my room. Personally, I didn't think it was messy. It's what I would call "organized mess". One time she took the liberty to "clean" my room and I was annoyed the entire day because I suddenly couldn't find the things I was looking for!

What do you think about that rule? Good?

6. Mason

Mason phawq

Yeah, it was a good rule. It's not good for children at the primary school ages to stay up late. Children need all the hours thats recommended for sleeping.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Always homework before tv and it taught me to accept it since I got good marks. Come high school the rule fell away and I did my own thing.

8. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

There's not a lot of rules I "appreciate". I guess one would be...gosh, I really can't think of one. I have a strict curfew so I can't use that one.

Now ones I don't appreciate. The room one you guys are talking about, but it also goes there can't be any dishes in the sink before I do something. Or clothes to be done. A bunch of stuff that just gets ridiculous.
    Also, the fact that they won't let me go with someone they dont know. From a parental point of view, I can kind of understand, but still. I don't want to introduce someone I'm just getting to know to parents.
    A final one that really gets on my nerves: no boys in my room. Seriously. If I have a boy over they can not come up to my room, whether we're dating or not. We have to stay in the living room. Most of my friends are guys so this is really embarrassing for me. What's even worse is my one girl friend is butch, and she's not allowed to come up in my room, because it "bothers" my father.
    Edit:
    OYA. And the fact I can't go out on school nights.

Dude, I hate my house. :sigh:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

In my household when I was growing up I was never allowed to have chewing gum in the house. This is because one day my dad found some in the carpet and it took ages to come out AND because my dad hates chewing gum generally. I felt this rule was unfair just because my dad didn't like it, but I can understand about the carpet thing.

I appreciated the fact that my parents (like ysabel and Rebeccaaa) didn't mind me going out with mates or whatever, as long as they had a way of contacting me and knew where I was going and who I was with.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

There wasn't too many rules I appreciated when I lived at home. I think that's the reason I didn't go back after I was kicked out...

The one I hated the most was that if my dad didn't think i'd done enough chores to 'earn' my dinner, I didn't get any. Another I hated was when I had to wait til everyone else had finished eating before I could eat my dinner if my finger bent when I put pressure on my knife with it. Yeah my parents were effing weird.