• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hottest question in the nhl?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I know we have a Team Canada thread but with this being a worldwide topic right now I decided to make a seperated thread about it. Everytime I tune in to a sports network, and the discussion is hockey the question seems to be "Should Subban be on Team canada?". Is this the hottest question in the NHL right now? And why is it even a debate?

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I am going to keep my reply PC for now...

People believe Subban is a one trick pony. A big shot, from the point, on the power play.

StroShow

V.I.P.
Crypticshock said:

People believe Subban is a one trick pony. A big shot, from the point, on the power play.
Are you thinking racism is playing a factor in all of this? I wouldn't go that far as there was never an issue with Jarome Iginla making the team. I think a lot of personal still think immaturity is an issue with him or that he wouldn't be able to control his emotions in such a tournament. It can't be because skill isn't good enough..just can't be.

Sabby

Dickey's Flow said:
Crypticshock said:

Are you thinking racism is playing a factor in all of this? I wouldn't go that far as there was never an issue with Jarome Iginla making the team. I think a lot of personal still think immaturity is an issue with him or that he wouldn't be able to control his emotions in such a tournament. It can't be because skill isn't good enough..just can't be.
Indirectly. And maybe not that there is any racism, but it's the implied notion that it could be racist. Sports shows crave ratings and hot topics. If P.K. was a white player from Saskatchewan with the same skill level, nobody would be talking if he was being snubbed for a spot. However since he is black, most fans have that at the top of their list as to why he isn't a shoe in. I guarantee there is no racism on the part of Team Canada management, but the tought of it is a great hook for Networks to bait us with while they talk about reasons that his 'play' isn't up to par. He's going to be on the team, but this is a great way for TSN, Sportsnet etc to drum up interest and controversy in the team's selection.

TORHABSFAN

It's because he is black flat out. And because he is young, flashy and a little cocky.

He is much much better defensivley then he gets credit for. Does he make an occisonal mistake or give away sure.. but guess what everyone does. Diffrance is when PK does it, It becomes an event.

The guy won a freaking Norris meaning he was the BEST defencemen in the enitre NHL last season. Yes better then Webber, Keith, Letang, Doughty, and every other Canadian Dman he is competeing with.

This whole thing is bull shit. PK should make team Canada and not just as a 6th- 7th Dman either.

StroShow

V.I.P.
TORHABSFAN said:
It's because he is black flat out. And because he is young, flashy and a little cocky.

He is much much better defensivley then he gets credit for. Does he make an occisonal mistake or give away sure.. but guess what everyone does. Diffrance is when PK does it, It becomes an event.

The guy won a freaking Norris meaning he was the BEST defencemen in the enitre NHL last season. Yes better then Webber, Keith, Letang, Doughty, and every other Canadian Dman he is competeing with.

This whole thing is bull shit. PK should make team Canada and not just as a 6th- 7th Dman either.
No doubt he should have a prominent role on the team. On that big ice rink he should be top two IMO, but I have a feeling Yzerman will use the chemistry card. You have Seabrook/Keith and Pietrangelo/Bowmeester who play 25 minutes a night together than you can't leave Doughty and Webber's experience out, and there goes PK.

StroShow

V.I.P.
TORHABSFAN said:
the thought of Bouwmeester on the team as a top 4 and PK not on the team at all makes me want to puke.
Statically he's almost better than his line mate Pietrangelo, but I do agree. Chemistry does bring up as a valid point but my counter to that is, "what about the chemistry between Subban and the starting goalie, Carey Price" :D.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I think Sabby hit the nail on the head with my "keep it PC" for now. The reason people keep it as a hot topic is not only because he is skilled but because of his background. Ethnic background. Team Canada couldn't give a shit if he was orange. It was like last year on that stupid HNIC panel with PJ Stock and Healy. They were both just pouring it on about PK... and Kevin Weekes was on the panel. Their comments were getting a little too stupid and they were just saying shit for no reason... it felt to me that there was a bit of a racial overtone to their biased comments and I think Weekes felt it to because he shut them up pretty fucking quick. Weekes has known PK since PK was 8 and has nothing but good things to say about him.

PK is on the fence for the team because there are guys who shoot the same hand as him who have had a lot more experience... Team Canada want's an even balance of L and R. Thing is, PK can shift to either side and shoot from either side. I think he will work himself on the team but not in a starting position...

Let's just put it this way. If PK stays on his pace... He is a lock for 2018!