• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hot vs Beautiful

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I don't think I use the term "hot" that often and if I did I think I would dislike the fact that I did. Hot to me sounds a bit misogynistic, it sounds a bit to much like the sort of thing I would say if I was drunk or would have said in my teen years or early twenties, as I have grown up I don't say in favour of "beautiful", I just think it is a nicer way to compliment a man or a women.

When I think of these words I mainly think in these phrases

"dude that chick is hot"
"wow, that woman is beautiful"

Just two words for me sound so different and can give such a different attitude and out idea of what someone is like to other people. I would never want to stop anyone from saying the first phrase but if I was a woman I think I would prefer the second one.

I don't know maybe it is a maturity thing, maybe it is just something that teenage guys go through, I say that because I am one and I would invite any women in hear to chime in with their own ideas of what the equivalent might be because I honestly am interested.

But what do you think? Is there really that much of a difference? Those one anger you over the other? Does it bother you?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Everybody has their own way of describing attractiveness. For me, hot, beautiful, gorgeous, pretty, attractive, cute, etc, are all similar, but have slight differences and might be used in different situations.

When I hear stuff like "Man, that chick is hot!" I think it carries a sexual connotation, as if to say "Yeah, I would totally bang her!"

Beautiful or gorgeous seems more complimentary and respectful and doesn't have to be sexual. It can be like appreciating a work of art. It can also be used to describe a person as a whole, whereas hot only really describes their physical appearance.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
To me it has always seemed like these descriptors fall into knee-jerk reactions. When someone instantly triggers your lust, they're hot, sexy, or something similar. When their look instantly intrigues you or something about them gets your attention positively, I think that's when the reaction is beauty. It probably also has something to do with how proactive the first viewing is as well.

JesseCuster

Registered Member
Your examples weren't exactly helping your impression. Here try mine:

"dude that chick is beautiful"
"wow, that woman is hot"

Doesn't the second one sound less superficial now that we've dropped the "chick" and "dude"?

Konshentz

Konshentz
As some of the earlier posts have already touched on...

Hot is usually something I say about someone I just want to sleep with, that I've known for a very short period of time.

Beautiful isn't just about their looks, it also involves their personality as well. And I've probably known them for a solid period of time.

I use cute the most. Some girls are offended, thinking it ranks lower than the other two... when a lot of the times it's the exact opposite. It's just my go-to word.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
When I hear stuff like "Man, that chick is hot!" I think it carries a sexual connotation, as if to say "Yeah, I would totally bang her!"
... speaking of which... whatever happened to "The Hot Chick Thread"? Did that ever happen at this forum in any form or is that now something of legend now? I remember dropping like 50 pictures of random hot chicks back in the day and everyone going nuts over it. Don't tell me this place never DE-evolved at least that far in some form?

2016 version. We need that.

To me it has always seemed like these descriptors fall into knee-jerk reactions. When someone instantly triggers your lust, they're hot, sexy, or something similar. When their look instantly intrigues you or something about them gets your attention positively, I think that's when the reaction is beauty. It probably also has something to do with how proactive the first viewing is as well.
Yeah I kinda get sick of that being all it is, mainly because it puts me on the same level as the people who do that, so, after much thought, I think I have it broken down pretty accurately to just the physical part of "beauty" (because it's all relative and also has to do with the person largely) alone. So... in brief form (and because I can't sleep at the moment)... I will list/describe them now:

1. "hot"

Most commonly this is used to describe someone's build and thickness, not so much how they look. Men and women can both be "hot" but you have to work out to get it. Some fat chicks can pull it off too if their fat is "shaped" well, but it's hard. I used to kind of do it myself too back in the day because I was working out to drop weight and the fat on top kind of took the shape of the muscle underneath, but generally it's more about having build and shape. Naturally, this is the lowest of my preferred features when it comes to women. But when people just throw it around there as a general all-inclusive term, it's kind of annoying. For example, Sophia Vergara and Paris Hilton are not BOTH "hot". The first one is, the second one isn't.

2. "sexy"

This would probably be the one most people intend when it comes to the question of "Do I want to sleep with her?" It generally involves feminine features like being slender and having definition (both in the body and face but more the body) and just being generally fit, but not necessarily build, just like curves and definition and stuff. Hardened (but not manly) facial features, just like "indicatively female". Makes sense because "sex" is in the term, after all.

3. "cute"

This is a very specific type of look that generally refers to soft, small, and or "little girl-like" facial features and is entirely a face thing. People throw this around carelessly ALL...... THE..... TIME.... in synonymity with "hot" and it's like.... "really?". To use the above example again, Sophia Vergara may be hot... but... compared to... Mila Kunis???... Need a different term there.

4. "pretty"

Again, almost exclusively the face, but also influenced by other aspects of the body. It generally refers to physical features that are simply pleasant to look at regardless of build and shape (hot), definition and sexuality (sexy), and having small little girlish facial features (cute). It's like what the models used to be back in the 60's or whatever when being bigger was more acceptable and there wasn't as many health/products involved in our celebrities (or whatever they do to enhance everything). So as far as me... it's like 3rd favored just above the hotness. Just like, if you can look at someone for hours and hours and hours and be just fine never looking at anything else... congratulations, you've found a pretty girl.

So that's how I break it down. All of female looks falls into a combination of those 4 categories. Any other term is either a synonym with one or a combination of several.

And of course "beautiful" is the sum total of everything INCLUDING the person on the inside, which can totally negate OR enhance all the rest. I've seen that happen many times.