• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hospital bans obese workers

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Texas hospital that incorporates in its hiring policy an applicant’s body mass index -- a formula that assesses one's health based on their weight and height --- hurts patient care, critics say. Read More Here
At first I thought you have to be kidding but after thinking about it for a minute you can refuse to hire someone if they smoke. I don't see any difference in being too fat or smoking. They both are a unhealthy life style and I didn't see their guidelines as being all that strict. You can be 185 lbs for someone who is 5'1" or 265 lbs for someone who is 6'1", that's still a little on the fat side. What do you think about this?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think if they want to promote healthy lifestyles (it is a hospital, after all), and it's legal (which it is in Texas, according to that article), then why not. Sure, they might be losing perfectly good workers, but that's their choice.

Although that said, I'm not sold on the idea personally. Don't have a problem with it but to be honest I can't see obesity getting in the way of doing a professional job in a hospital environment. I don't really understand what they mean about having an appearance 'free from distraction' or why it is relevant.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tough call, but it seems to fall under similar measures as not allowing employees to smoke on hospital grounds, even outside(which you mentioned in your OP). It's kind of hard to tell people what they need to do to be healthy if the staff appears to be doing the exact opposite. A gym, for instance, I don't think could be required to hire someone who is fat as a personal trainer, even if that person has the knowledge to do it.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't see how you can really compare someone not getting hired for smoking cigarettes to someone who is deemed "obese". You have an actual health concern for everyone involved for someone who smokes. You can't catch diabetes by being around someone who is deemed "obese".

I can understand if they refuse to higher someone who is so big that they can't move or do their job in a justifiable amount of time, but not someone just because they fail the "Body Mass" test because that test is just a bunch of bull shit anyways. You can have two people who weigh 6'1", each of them way 260lbs and one can be in amazing shape but just because a "Body Mass" test says they're "obese" means they can't do a job?

Yeah, it's a joke.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I don't see how you can really compare someone not getting hired for smoking cigarettes to someone who is deemed "obese". You have an actual health concern for everyone involved for someone who smokes. You can't catch diabetes by being around someone who is deemed "obese".
I was thinking they're not really comparable too, but more in the sense that smokers tend to go for a lot of breaks which all add up and take away from their time spent actually working (in some cases).
If someone smokes then it doesn't really affect anyone else around them in the workplace since they'd have to go outside to do it, away from the patients/other workers.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Since Texas is a right to work state, then they have the ability to hire and not hire whomever they want. If weight contributes to low production for an individual, that's understanble. Letting somebody go or not hiring somebody because they are fat is discriminatory. The only job I can think of on the top of my head to where we should never see fat people work at is health gyms. I for one am against companies doing this. It is very discriminate.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
We definitely don't have this law in Australia, so many nurses are really fat or obese. I'm not even kidding, one time I saw two really obese nurses try to walk through a wide door at the same time and they got stuck in the middle. It was HILARIOUS, but still an eye-opener.

Nurses and doctors should be able to react fast under so many circumstances, and they really need to be able to be fast on their feet. I think it's sensible not to hire obese hospital workers, unless they are working as a cleaner or in the cafeteria or something, in the same way that we should'nt hire obese police.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think not hiring someone because they are obese is comparable to not hiring someone that smokes. As long as they are not smoking around you their habit shouldn't affect you. If you are working around someone that is overweight it can affect you. If you are working in close quarters it can be hard to get around them and a lot of them tend to be slow.

As far as smokers taking more breaks, your only allowed so many for so much time, at least where I have worked and you have to clock out and in.