• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Horror films: a dying art

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
In 1996 Wes Craven did something I think few people in Hollywood would have banked on, he brought back the horror genre into the main stream in such a way that it changed the game for a lot of writers, not only did it take the genre in a new direction but it gave the genre a reason to live.

Scream will undoubtedly be one of the most important horror films to date because it made the slasher films accessible and brought back the idea of going to a horror film on a date night. There were horror films before then but generally speaking they were bad re-works of an already tired theme that should have gone to bed well before the scripts even made it to a desk reading.

Things have moved on from Scream, we have seen more more films come out that try to be next horror genre masterpieces and have failed and the sad truth is I am starting to see this in a lot of films and worry that no-one can come up with any original ideas anymore, I went to see a film called "You're Next" last friday and it was just appalling, the sad thing is it could have been good but like so many films it failed because it tried to be too clever. One of the great things of horror films is it can be a very simple plot and still work.

Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th - all three worked well because they used basic plot points but still knew how to make the best of it. This is of course in direct contradiction of the Saw movies which had very set, very interlocking stories but they worked because of how well they were put together.

Halloween is only a few months away and I have already seen a lot of horror movies and ones coming out, they are all coming out at the wrong time, the horror genre is trying to break into the summer release, this is wrong, it has no place in the summer and this is something I think cinemas and distributors need to learn, quick.

Do I think horror cinema is dead? Well based on the number of films James Wan is bringing out and given how many films Patrick Wilson is in it would be incorrect to say it is dead but dying? I would say it is as an art form. Something along the way got lost, I am not sure if it is focus, drive or simply a lack or being able to come up with anything original and I would love to see this changed.