• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Horrible Sounding Words

Bliss

Sally Twit
Are there any words you hate the sound of? I mean they make you cringe when you hear them for whatever reason.
Impact gave me the inspiration for this thread as there is a particular word she hates the sound of and I also have a word I hate. I won't share Impact's in case she chooses to. :lol:

Mine is 'fingered' or 'fingering'. It takes me back to my school days where all you would hear on a Monday was young boys talking about how much 'fingering' they had done over the weekend. I mean really. Did they actually mean that or did they think they should be saying shit like that?
It made me cringe back then and it still makes me cringe today.

A certain person who shall remain nameless has said that word quite a few times lately. I'm sure he knows who he is!

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
"Fingering" sounds very disturbing to me. And I never use it.
I can't really think about any other word. I guess "fisting" has become disturbing too, after I learned its real meaning a few weeks ago.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Hematoma

Ugh..... reminds me of the worst pain i ever felt whenever i hear it!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Hematoma

Ugh..... reminds me of the worst pain i ever felt whenever i hear it!
Eww.. that does sound horrible.

For me, it has to be 'unacceptable'... for some reason, I hate that word... maybe the meaning more than anything else.

shelgarr

Registered Member
sludge
smegma
tits
humped
crusty

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I hated the word munted or munting. Some of the lame hipster girls who go clubbing every weekend use it to describe vomitting when they drink to much on the weekend.

Impact

V.I.P.
MOIST!

I fucking hate the word, so much. It just...bothers me, and I have no reasonable explanation why.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Snazzy
Slob
Groovy
Bogey

To name a few -

Also, I dislike a lot of those words that have seemingly garnered a completely different meaning to what they actually are. Some hold a certain element of blending to them, or some kind of 'lazy' creativity, yet I find them extremely irritating.
They strike me as the sort of words that should be completely context bound, yet get thrown about all over the place, which makes them even more annoying. Especially when I catch myself using one every now and then, although I try not to.

Such as:
Innit - *cringes*
Sick
Bad (Used out of its original context to describe the complete opposite of what the word means)
Wicked
Classic (As said by skinheads)

And also that ridiculous word 'simples' - Since some cute, chirping meerkats uttered it, it's even been accepted in the dictionary as if it's a new word. It bloody isn't!

Oh and the word unnecessary because I find it hard to spell. Although, I like the meaning of it. Fits in nicely with some of those ^ I could go on all day.

Last edited: