• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

homesteading

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
does anyone know anything about homesteading your property. I'm sure the laws are different in each state. I live in Oregon. I have been thinking about this option. some friends have been telling me I should homestead my property. what does this do?

Melos

Registered Member
I thought homesteading was just the act of making your property self-sufficient. Basically turning it into a mini-farm, I suppose.

katharina

Registered Member
I thought homesteading was just the act of making your property self-sufficient. Basically turning it into a mini-farm, I suppose.
This is what I thought, too... possibly with some monetary incentives from the government or state, but I'm not real sure about that part.

mamab

Registered Member
In Alabama, I believe you have to have a certain number of acres before you can declare a homestead. I know it's supposed to give you some cuts on insurance or taxes, I'm not sure which. I'd check with the nearest LandBank and see if they can give you further information. Good luck.

Melos

Registered Member
Oh... well, if you get monetary incentives from the government, I suppose its not really self-sufficients then, is it?

I always thought it was more of a "way of life."

rubybug

I'll take the incentives from the government, no problem with that! We've been homesteading for a while now. I'll have to look into these incentives because property taxes out here are insanely high, and we have many acres. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know what I find out.

I always thought of homesteading as a way of life too. However, it doesn't matter how self-sufficient we are we still have to pay the government property taxes.

katharina

Registered Member
I always thought of homesteading as a way of life too. However, it doesn't matter how self-sufficient we are we still have to pay the government property taxes.
This sounds so nice to me... what types of things are you doing to keep self-sufficient? My friends in Alaska do a lot of salmon fishing when they're running and a lot of gardening, too.

rubybug

Thanks for asking, katharina. We're not completely self-sufficent yet, but we're well on our way. We have farm animals and we do lots and lots of gardening. Right now we're living in a travel trailer while be build our own strawbale house. We also have solar power, we're not connected to the grid. I cook and bake alot, from scratch--no microwaves here!

Melos

Registered Member
It does sound great - really something I'd like to do as well. Although I don't know if I can get along with just solar energy since I need the computer running at least 10 hours a day.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
It does sound great - really something I'd like to do as well. Although I don't know if I can get along with just solar energy since I need the computer running at least 10 hours a day.
LOL ahhh! the simple life. Times they have a changed : ))

you would have to check into your state to see what the incentives are. My understanding is not all states recognize homesteading and they all have different incentives and so forth.