Homeschooling in CA

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Mar 7, 2008.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Homeschoolers' setback sends shock waves through state

Lots of people here talk about erosion of freedoms. But to me, their arguments are always irrelevant. Can we wire-tap inbound calls? Can we torture suspected terrorist? No offense, but getting calls from Sudan or the possibility that some lackey caught on the battlefield may be water-boarded doesn't seem like much of an erosion to me.

This ruling by the California appeals court however, will erode your freedoms if you live in CA and may eventually effect the rest of the nation. The court decided that according to CA law, you are not allowed to homeschool your children unless you have a degree and certificate from the State. This truly will make the Founding Fathers spin a few times in the grave. From now on, the State decides how your kids will be schooled.

Beyond the politics of it, I wonder what the opinion is of those that accuse the government of stripping rights away is. If wire-tapping is such an injustice to freedoms, isn't this 100 times worse?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I know of few who would say that we should have the right to do to others whatever we please. Children are people, and should not be thought of as property of their parents or of the state. That said, it is almost universally accepted that we have a responsibility to ensure that future generations receive a quality education. If not for their own benefit, then because an educated populace is vital to the longterm success of our democracy. It may or may not be a reasonable constraint upon parents to require that they have a degree to home school their children, but it does not seem to be an unprecedented violation of any freedoms that we should expect to have.

3. MenInTights

It all seems to be about the certificate (ie being in the Union). Quality of education is not the issue. Even if the kids are benchmarked, the State will disapprove because there is no certificate. As the law stands, the only thing that is being protected is the will of the special interest, the teacher's union.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Homeschooled kids almost always rank higher on SAT's, ACT's, etc. Does this mean every parent is suited to teach their child? Probably not.

What degree do you have to have in order to homeschool in California? A teaching degree? That would be pretty pointless considering you'd spend more getting your degree than it would cost to simply send your kid to a private school..

This is what happens when people don't pay attention to bills that are proposed. Things like this slip through. Why wasn't the outcry big enough before the bill passed to make politicians reconsider? It should be a wake up call for all of us.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

that's actually kind of retarded, there is no real logical reason why they would do that.

6. MenInTights

Not sure of the reasoning either, but:

1 - Home schooling is competition for the Teacher's Union.
    The story talked about a lady who is a trained lawyer, but yet her education or desires don't really mean much to Lloyd. Which just means she's not in the Union.

2 - Activist Judges think they have a right to force their beliefs on the population.
    Give us your children, The State knows best. Does that sound familar? Does the State or Federal Constitution really say: "Parents do not have a right to homeschool"?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  7. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I don't think a teaching degree is necessary to homeschool your own children, but I certainly feel like a parent should be tested for the ability to take on this task before making such a crucial decision that will affect their childs future.
    My sister in law decided to home school her son. He turned 18 this month, but won't be graduating until 2010 because she did not have the intelligence to help him learn what he need to know in order to pass his tests.
    He is now back in public school, struggling to catch up. What are the chances that he'll actually stick to it long enough to earn his diploma

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  8. MenInTights

I know a lot of homeschool people and they all tend to produce very high quality students or very low. I can only think of one kid that I would classify as average. Benchmarking is key - a lot of states are doing that.

Mirage likes this.