• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Homeless shelters bashed in Denver

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
A group trying to help the homeless people before winter built small shelters on a useless piece of land but the city didnt like it so they got bulldozzed. Wtf? Dead... o_O
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/10/...llage-activists-wont-stop-fight-for-homeless/

Yeah so maybe they are losers but where will they go? I saw a homeless dude last week and he asked me for $2 for food. Again wtf? How can anybody eat with only $2? So I gave him 10. I mean its gotta be really scary to not even have food.

Imo if somebody wants to help homeless people it should happen and no issues. Those people could land in hospitals this winter if they dont have warm shelters to sleep in.
Thoughts?

EDIT - Btw somebody told me I could have legal issues if I help a homeless person. Is that true?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I guess it's just more economical for the city to gather up frozen corpses come spring.
If thats true then they should stay outside with the homeless since they are already cold enough to survive the winter.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It can be illegal to give money to the homeless in some places. You would have to check your local laws.

Chances are Dr4gon that money you gave the homeless man went to buy alcohol. Nice of you to do so though.

Its a shame they had to tear these houses down but maybe they should talk someone into donating property for them to build on. I have a feeling though most people aren't going to want a place like this in their neighborhood.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It can be illegal to give money to the homeless in some places. You would have to check your local laws.

Chances are Dr4gon that money you gave the homeless man went to buy alcohol. Nice of you to do so though.

Its a shame they had to tear these houses down but maybe they should talk someone into donating property for them to build on. I have a feeling though most people aren't going to want a place like this in their neighborhood.
Yeah I just heard a huge lecture about that. Especially about enabling. So its not illegal to give them money but its not helpful. They mostly just use it for alcohol and drugs and stuff. And no way that we need a whole village of those people here because it would just support crime. I heard all about that too.

Okay so maybe I dont know enough about the issue but I still think the cities should be doing more to solve it. I mean even if they are scary they are still people that need help and Denver should find a way to get them some shelters.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I just heard a huge lecture about that. Especially about enabling. So its not illegal to give them money but its not helpful. They mostly just use it for alcohol and drugs and stuff. And no way that we need a whole village of those people here because it would just support crime. I heard all about that too.

Okay so maybe I dont know enough about the issue but I still think the cities should be doing more to solve it. I mean even if they are scary they are still people that need help and Denver should find a way to get them some shelters.
I agree they do need help. While some homeless are suffering from mental illness, drug addicts and criminals some are there just because they don't make enough money. There is probably a wide variety of reasons they are there including being in the country illegally.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Homelessness is simply a symptom of a more serious problem... Capitalism. :) The cost of living needs to be addressed. Strict rent controls need to be in place. In my city, when I was a teenager, we had rent controls. When our mayor moved up to premier, being that he owned rental property in the city, he abolished rent controls, and now the only affordable housing in this city is that which is heavily subsidized by the government. Landlords had a field day cranking up rents, the homeless rate shot up, and the city's vacency rate now sits at less than 1%. But at least wealthy rental property owners are raking it in, that's what's important in a Capitalist society. The poor can fork over for subsidized housing for the even more poor, including construction of more units every year. That makes good economical sense.

I remember when, if you were pulling in $1200 bucks a month you were able to get by, now you pay that much just on rent alone for a dive. That's not including utilities. For young people just entering the work force, and carrying a student loan, the deck is stacked against them. Likewise for anyone who is trying to get back on their feet financially after a setback, such as job loss. If cities cared more about sustainability and less about appeasing profiteers, the homeless rate would be much lower and regular blue collar working people would be much less stressed trying to provide for themselves and their families.

- Cham

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. Capitalism does not create homelessness, if that were true we wouldn't see it in command and control economies, and it's even more frequent in those. Blaming it on capitalism shows a level of ignorance beyond my comprehension. Those stats couldn't be true. Why would landlords hike up rents to the point nobody could afford them? How could the "wealthy property owners rake it in" if there is no one to rent those properties? That makes absolutely no sense. The REAL culprit is found in your second paragraph, rent controls.

Rent controls, yeah they worked real well in Detroit. So well it creates slums since the landlord has no profit incentive to improve his apartments. It creates a surplus of demand, thus there is no need to upkeep the supply.

Those are all attributable to the devaluing of the dollar, but it's so much easier by those with no understanding to blame capitalism, or the evil "trickle down economics" and other such nonsense.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The reason the landlords are able to rake it in is due to desperation. You pay what you have to in order to put a roof over your head, even if that means going into debt. When rent controls were in place, there was still plenty of room for landlords to make profit. If there wasn't, nobody would have been doing it. But making a reasonable profit isn't good enough. More profit is the name of the game. My thought is that cities should be trying to strike a balance between affordability of housing and incentive to provide and upkeep it. There is no balance anymore, and hasn't been since rents have more than TRIPLED after rent controls were removed. And like I said, $1100 bucks gets you a dive. So much for incentive to upkeep places. Of course, if someone says something is to blame for something else, you're going to argue as though they meant exclusively. Certainly, other governmental systems are broken in other ways that lead to the same problems, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

- Cham

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
On one hand you say it threw people out on the street creating all this homelessness, on the other you say the vacancy rate is less than 1%, which is it? If they are living in an apartment they aren't homeless, if they couldn't afford the rent then they ARE homeless. Which story are you sticking to because they both can't be true.

Prices are set based on supply and demand. If people can barely afford their rents it's because there is a supply of people who can, and if some people can and you can't, then maybe that's on you and not the landlord.

I didn't say they didn't make profit under rent controls, there is no incentive for more profit, so why make your place better than the place down the street? Don't like my substandard apartment building? Go somewhere else, because there is someone else willing to pay that rent, thus no profit incentive.

Yes it does. Every year people risk shark infested waters on rafts made out of milk cartons to escape a command and control economy and hopefully land on the shores of Florida. Things there are LITERALLY that bad. There is no causal connection between homelessness and capitalism, homelessness is present no matter what the economic model. Less so in capitalistic models however.