Homeless People

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wondering what you guys thought about Homeless people? What runs through your mind when you see a homeless person on the street?

Do you feel bad for them?
    Do you give them money?
    Do you tell yourself "Get a Job"

Discuss?

2. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

I feel bad for them, but at the same time I dont. I mean most of them did it too themselves, with either drugs or alcohol...so why should I feel bad for them. I NEVER give them money. But if I have some left over food or there is a fast food place near by I go and buy something and bring it to them. But I dont think that you should ever give a homeless person money.

Basically I see homeless people as motivation to not go down that path

3. Westy

Westy Registered Member

Got our fair share of homeless people in my home town of Ipswich, i dont feel bad for them but i always throw them some coins etc............Everyone needs a leg up from time to time dont they? :nod:

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree I don't give them money, and personally I don't feel bad for them. The reason why I don't give them money is because deep down I know their only going to spend it on Alcohol or drugs. Also the reason why I don't feel bad is because at least 80% of them are living on the streets because they've did it to themselves.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I feel bad for them. In Kalamazoo, the vast majority of people who are homeless have obvious mental problems. The mental health system is simply a complete fail. I don't give beggars money, though, due to the fact that most of them aren't homeless.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

*Nods* I feel bad for the ones who lost everything through malpractice and such. I remember a good friend of my mom's was sued and just disappeared. But we later found out that they became homeless.

I remember once my mom let these two homeless people into the house, gave them dinner, blah blah. But then got one of her friends to let them sleep at their house.

Next thing you know we get a call saying that a lot of their stuff is missing and they are gone. :/

7. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

YES! There's this lady who basically owns most of the buildings that "Section 8" in boston but then you always see her with her dentures out and she's on the street conner asking for change

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I can't help but look at them and wonder how they let it come to this, how could they have let life knock them this far down? As wrong as it is, and although I know there are a very few who couldn't help what happened, I still think of them as being weak.

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

It's quite easy to be homeless. Lose your job and you can't find work you will be homeless in a few months.

I pity the homeless but some of the people asking for change are not homeless. Giving them money does not solve the problem of the homeless. Buy them a meal if you really care about them do not give them cash.

I think most people think the homeless are just a bunch of drug addicts and junkies. Some are many are not though. Some are people pretending to be homeless, many are people that lost their jobs with no family to support them, some were just born into a poor family.

I pity them only because homelessness is perpetuated by our society's social and economic structure.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I very rarely give money to homeless people, because like you guys said, they usually end up spending the money on cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol. But they're still human beings and they deserve to be treated as such.

I was in the city with a friend one night last summer and we were walking around and saw this homeless woman lying on the sidewalk. She looked pretty fucked up so we asked her if she was alright, but she couldn't do anything more than mumble a few words which we couldn't understand. Meanwhile, there were tons of people walking right past her who were apparently too busy to even look at her. My friend and I flagged down a cop to come help her out, cause we knew nobody else was going to do anything. It makes me sick how selfish people are.