Home town history

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by KiethBlackLion, Jun 26, 2008.

1. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

So what kind of role in history did your home town have? I thought it would be interesting to talk about our home towns and how they took part in the history of the world.

I'll start. My home town is Fredericksburg, Virginia. Most of Fredericksburg is a historical district. Famous men from George Washington (who's home in Ferry Farms is only 5 minutes from my mom's house) and Thomas Jefferson to General Lee and Stonewall Jackson came through the town.

One of the greatest Confederate battles of the Civil War took place in Fredericksburg, where Gen. Lee was able to hold off several waves of Union troops at Marye's Heights. Last fall I went through and photographed one of the battle sites. To this day you can see the bullet holes in the trees.

One of the historical sites in town is called the Rising Sun Tavern, a place where people like George Washington use to "hang out" so to speak. Although it's been restored and updated with electricity, etc, it's a strange feeling to know that you're walking around in a building where some of the greatest figures in American history once sat around a fireplace and talked.

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I live in Berlin, Germany ... so I guess you already know much about its history. From the 15th century on, the Brandenburg and later Prussian kings resided here and governed from Berlin. With German national unification in 1871, it also became German capital. After WW2, it was devided, the western two-thirds of the city became US/British/French-occupied West Berlin, the eastern third became Soviet occupied East Berlin and in 1949 capital of communist East Germany. In 1948/49, the Soviets sieged West Berlin, attempting to drive the Western Allies out, but failed, because US and Britain organized an airlift to support the city. In 1961, the Berlin Wall was built and the city divided physically, West Berlin became an "isle" disconnected from the East and the surrounding lands. In 1989, finally, communist East Germany opened the border again, people danced on the streets and Berlin once again became a symbol and focal point for the end of the Cold War. The communist regime in the East was dissolved and the East German states joined the western Federal Republic. In 1999, finally, the government of united Germany was moved from Bonn to Berlin, so Berlin now is once again capital and seat of government of united Germany.

3. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Huddersfield, England. Home of Rugby League, Sheffield United's Jon Stead is a Hudders boy *drools*, and a poet named Simon Armitage is also a Hudders boy.

Oh and Patrick Stuart, although is from Mirfield (just down the road), he is a Town fan! ^__^

4. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

Lancaster, Ohio, Pop. 36,500.

"Modern Lancaster is distinguished by a rich blend of 19th-century architecture (best evidenced in historic Square 13, part of Zane's original plot) and natural beauty (best evidenced by the famous Standing Stone, today known as Mount Pleasant) with all the typical modern accoutrements of a small-medium sized American city."

[​IMG]

-In Lancaster we have The Sherman House, birthplace and the childhood home of William Tecumpseh Sherman, the very notable Civil War general.

-Birthplace of John Sherman, author of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act who has a middle school dedicated in his honor.

-Hometown to Thomas Ewing, first US Secretary of the Interior who has a middle school dedicated to him here, also.

-Henrey Stanbery was born here, as well, the US Attorney General that defended Andrew Johnson at his impeachment trial.

-Birthplace to Richard F. Outcault, creator of Buster Brown and The Yellow Kid, known as The father of the American Comic Strip.

-Robert G. Heff went to my highschool, and there he developed the modern 50-star flag that we use today.

-Rex Kern, the famous quarterback that played for the Buckeyes on the 1968 Championship team.

-Rob Carpenter, previously the quarterback for the New York Giants and Houston Oilers, he is the football coach at my highschool.

-Bobby Carpenter, Rob's son, graduated from my highschool when I was a freshman, played for the Buckeyes for several years and is now the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys.

-David Graf, Best known as Sgt. Tackleberry from the Police Academy films.

Finally, Forbes published their first newspaper here in Lancaster, Ohio, and we've seen how that turned out. :) I am very proud of my city because it is a perfect size an encompasses all of what an American city should be. We're surrounded by rolling green meadows and thick, beautiful forests with a perfect amount of snow/sun all year round. Finally, here's one more shot off of Mt. Pleasant.

[​IMG]

This is the west side of town so it's not as pretty as the east and it's fall, but still, it's a cool sight.

5. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

i live in gresham and portland so here's the deal on both:

The city of Gresham could not establish itself as a city unless given a post office and postal code. A local store owner offered to use his store as a post office and offered to name the city after Postmaster General Walter Quinton Gresham if a post office was granted. Until that time the city had simply been known as Campground because this forested site was where pioneers often stopped to spend the night and compose themselves before moving on to Portland. Although a post office was established in May, 1884, Gresham was not incorporated as a city until 1905. Lewis Shattuck, son of a pioneer family, was the first mayor

famous people from gresham include:
    Brian Burres, MLB pitcher, attended Sam Barlow High School and Mt. Hood Community College
    Randy Couture, professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter and current UFC Heavyweight Champion
    Nikki Fuller, professional female bodybuilder, attended Gresham High School
    Katie Harman, Miss America 2002
    Fred Jones, NBA player, moved to Gresham in middle school
    Angela Via, singer, moved to Gresham as a child
    Greg Smith, Oregon State Representative, District 57, graduated from East Gresham Grade School, Dexter McCarty Middle School, and Sam Barlow High School.

portland, or for the obvious reasons the oregon trail and such...

Portland started as a spot known as "the clearing,"[7] which was on the banks of the Willamette about halfway between Oregon City and Fort Vancouver. In 1843, William Overton saw great commercial potential for this land but lacked the funds required to file a land claim. He struck a bargain with his partner Asa Lovejoy of Boston, Massachusetts: for 25¢, Overton would share his claim to the 640 acre (2.6 km²) site. Overton later sold his half of the claim to Francis W. Pettygrove of Portland, Maine. Pettygrove and Lovejoy each wished to name the new city after his respective home town; this was decided with a coin toss, which Pettygrove won in a series of two out of three tosses.[8]The coin used for this decision, now known as the Portland Penny, is on display in the headquarters of the Oregon Historical Society.
    At the time of its incorporation on February 8, 1851 Portland had over 800 inhabitants,[9] a steam sawmill, a log cabin hotel, and a newspaper, the Weekly Oregonian. By 1879, the population had grown to 17,500.[10]
    Portland's location, with access both to the Pacific Ocean via the Willamette and the Columbia rivers and to the agricultural Tualatin Valley via the "Great Plank Road" through a canyon in the West Hills (the route of current-day U.S. Route 26), gave it an advantage over nearby ports, and it grew quickly.[11] It remained the major port in the Pacific Northwest for much of the 19th century, until the 1890s, when Seattle's deepwater harbor was connected to the rest of the mainland by rail, affording an inland route without the treacherous navigation of the Columbia River.
    The first known reference to Portland as "The City of Roses" was made by visitors to an 1888 Episcopal Church convention, the nickname growing in popularity after the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition where Mayor Harry Lane suggested that the city needed a "festival of roses."[12] The first Portland Rose Festival was held two years later and remains the city's major annual festival a century later.

portland also has more strip clubs per capita than vegas or san francisco due to the oregon constitution with freedom of speech

List of people from Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a list of famous portlanders and we have a lot...

6. TimmehD

Wikipedia is wonderful isn't it, Winter? Haha.

7. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

yeesssssss lol it wasnt specified that i had to come up with the history on my own!! haha and anyway i didnt know some of the stuff it said :p

8. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

Well, there you go.

9. TimmehD

Key points, please.

10. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

Damn double post.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008